fish getting off

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Joe Mott
Species: all

fish getting off

Post by Joe Mott »

we went out yesterday and got some trolling in, we did good fishing 30 foot down. we were using smaller bees and had 3 fish on one was really huge and didnt want to come up. thing is all 3 got off. was it just an unlucky streak or is there anything to do to increase our chances to boat more. go to a multi hook plug when they are biting lite? :?:
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: fish getting off

Post by raz »

When they bite lite...they are lightly biting! :o
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

For some reason our landing rate has been crappy for about 2 weeks. Fish aren't hitting as hard as earlier I think... I have been sharpening all hooks before deployment due to this issue.
Matt B
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I will not use treble hooks on spoons no matter what. They do a number on the fish not to mention your fingers if you are not careful.
If I lose a fish or two....oh well probably my fault!
Joe Mott

Post by Joe Mott »

lol raz! ok relax least it isnt just me, i was thinking maybe a little deeper in the release for a better hookset also? im like you 3buoys, that and the mess in the net with trebles sometime. was a nice day out there anyway. wind died rite down around noon.

Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

. Ive video taped many fish biting my dull hooks. After sharpening, and I mean sharp enough to stick to anything. Not so much anymore. Use a magnifier to check out a "sharp" hook and see how dull they are.
I've had bad luck keeping the bigger crappie on this year too though :(
Joe Mott

Post by Joe Mott »

do you need to sharpen new hooks kayak? well one fish caught on them each? and what is a good sharpner to get?
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Joe Mott wrote:do you need to sharpen new hooks kayak? well one fish caught on them each? and what is a good sharpner to get?
Every Hook has to be checked every time!! No free passes ... new or otherwise. If they are sharp, they are sharp ... if they are dull they need to be sharp. Sometimes a little bit of scent or a LITTLE more speed will improve hookups.

Some Hooks are definitely better than others ..., even in the same model #s, by the same manufacturers. The art of a sharp hook is not easily learned, but once learned is never forgotten.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Joe Mott

Post by Joe Mott »

any suggestions on a good sharpener
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

sharp hooks and tighter releases! faster speeds increase hooks staying in the fish,too. but higher speeds sometimes decrease number of hits ,sometimes it produces more.just my opinion
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Tamiron isn't kidding about new hook. They need to be filed as well. I use a decent bass pro brand hook sharpener and a few passes every other trip,and after a snag I'll sharpen. Foshingmachine is right too. On video slower speeds results in more spit hooks.
Joe Mott

Post by Joe Mott »

ok thanks guys, i will keep an eye on my hooks, but being new im not to sure its my problem, im trolling around 2 mph. im gonna set tighter in my releases and see. thanks for all the input i learned some good stuff.
JDK
Species: Togue

Post by JDK »

I'm assuming a Siwash hook. Sometimes they can be bent out a little and hook ups will improve.
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

if the pic.you posted is your rigger rod,it should be "tightned" up alot more.which may require you to tighten the release.you want a really good bend in your rigger rods,so when a fish hits,the rod snaps up and helps set the hook and with a tighter release,this also will help set the hook.the down side is dragging around smaller fish that dont trip the release.we tried using our brown trout rods we use on ontario with blacks releases on local lakes where we live and found that the smaller fish would not trip the release,so we went to pinch pad releases run off the back of the rigger ball and diawa spinmatic ultra-light "noodle"rods for the riggers.these rods you can really load up and about put the tips in the water.with the pinch pads,it gives movement in your line,so if you get a small fish,it may not release,but you will see your rod bouncing.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Joe Mott

Post by Joe Mott »

another good tip jdk thank you. yes finsntins i got thoses combos off the www if id have seen how rigid they were id wouldnt have goten them. i dont like the stifness of them, but im stuck with them. hard to get much more bend out of them but i can try some thanks.