Lite Bite Question II

Share info on fishing Champlain.
JDK
Species: Togue

Lite Bite Question II

Post by JDK »

I was able to use the Lite Bite for the first time this year and it certainly is a very effective lure delivery device. I'm somewhat embarrassed to ask this question but I'm not sure what my issue may be. The first 5 fish tripped the lite bite as advertised and everything worked well. After that I could not get the directional weight tight enough to stay in place and 3 out of the next 4 fish never tripped the arm. I loosened the tension on it and it still didn't matter. And finally after the fifth fish, it stopped sliding on the braid. It would trip and slide "OK" when there was no tension of the fish. I retied and that didn't make any difference on the tripping or sliding.

My outfit consists of 50 pound power pro braid on an 8'6" medium rod. I was back 50 feet and out an additional 30 in 45 to 65 feet of water. Trolling speed was 2.1-2.4 MPH and the fish were in the 17-23 inch range.

Any suggestions?
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Re: Lite Bite Question II

Post by Trackertroller »

Sometimes the screw will seem tight on the weight, but the weight is not really seated correctly.

Sometimes the pinch tubing can be turned 180* to stop sliding for smaller diameter braids during normal use, maybe yours twisted and you didn't realize it. Especially with 50#

As for the release, keep tuning it in.

They are great products, but do have a learning curve. Some good videos on you tube too

I'm sure many others will be chiming in on this

And no reason to be embarrassed. Good luck out there
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I agree with Jeremy...check the pinch tubing to be sure it didn't twist or turn.
I like the tension on the rear arm so loose that the arm will just barely stay in place with out the front arm "snapped" in place. The front arm tension is key...it needs to trip with a "light bite".

If the weight won't stay in place, did you strip out the threads somehow?
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
JDK

Post by JDK »

Thank you both

I looked it over last night and there is a small burr where the lite bite arm goes into the plastic holder (It actually looks broken). It was holding the arm up so I filed it down gently and it seems to work better.

I also unscrewed the directional weight and put it back together. No change at all. It is not stripped and tightens down so I can't turn it any more.

Neither of the tubes were twisted or turned but I ran it up and down the line for a bit. It slides but not great. The pinch point seems to be where the line comes off the first arm and goes to the small tube. I can use it as is and refine.

Thanks again for the help.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

One thing I have battled with mine is the one that runs to the right often wont trip, the line comes out of the little loop in the light trigger when being deployed. Have lost a bunch of fish from this. Not sure what the solution is, but deploying slower seems to have some impact.
JDK

Post by JDK »

Funny you mention that Keith. Mine is set to the right.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

On my lite bite I do not use the small plastic tubing or the spring just the 50lb braid I found the small tubing to be a pain in the ass and it works just fine without it. the key is getting the lite bite to stay put and by twisting 180 at the pinch point it will stay where you put it