walleye how, where and when?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
_vn_
Species: pike, lakers, bass

walleye how, where and when?

Post by _vn_ »

hi, can someone share techniques on how to fish for walleye?
are there spots or areas north of Burlington, preferably around ile lamotte?

thanks!
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Re: walleye how, where and when?

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Most Walleye Fisherman are very tight lipped and protective of their spots.
I guess it is because of the work they put in to find them.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

I have caught them on crank/stick baits trolling. I think that most people use bottom bouncer rigs with green mtn grabbers or the like. They seem to like the rocky areas, but I am by no means an expert at all. I caught a real nice one out by 4 brothers last year at this time, but you could probably find them by driving along some of the shore roads around dusk/dark and look for boats trolling out in the lake. A good resource is the VT master angler site, may not give you the exact spot, but it will tell you the town that the angler caught a fish in.
lingcod
Species: burbot, whitefish

Post by lingcod »

From my experience, and shared info. from walleye anglers, catching walleye consistently is a night time game. The guy I know who scores regularly fishes from a small boat, late at night. Not for everyone and definitely takes getting used to. I am still adjusting.

Some use alewife imitating lures on planer boards and troll paralell to shore, not too far out. But casting a 5-6" rapala-type diver in blue or purple
that dives 3 feet up to 10 feet works well on the big ones, slow retrieve. The walleye can see the big, dark silhouette outlined against the sky. At times they will even hit a surface lure. Being quiet is key, not so easy in darkness! Try to figure out where baitfish congegate and fish there. Tight lines!
_vn_

Post by _vn_ »

thanks guys! how about looking for a good spot? structures? ledges? water depth? current?
seems like presentation has to be pretty slow from what i read
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

I copied this from another member some time ago..hope it helps:

Walleye historical spots (trolling or casting anchored) WALLEYE AT DUSK:

Hyde point north of Savage: Our go to spot in the mid-eighties at dusk. Fishing off this point near the sharp drop-off in 90-120 feet of water. Trolling time window was August.

Fishbladder trolling in 70 feet of water right in the middle east of the island.

South east corner of Savage Island trolling in 80 feet of water.

North east corner of Savage Island in deep water.

Deep water right in front of the Georgia launch trolling west - east to Savage.

Ball Island can: Casting. Anchor 50 feet west of can in 10 feet of water after dark and cast with Rebel deep diving. Crazy large Walleyes and big bass. Best time: August - September. Best time at 10 pm.

Buoy 19 Shelburne: Casting right near the 19A outside can anchored. Or trolling around it.

Juniper Island: Trolling the north side near the green can in 10-12 of water and deep water north west and west of the Island.

Sloop Island: Trolling near the edge of the west side drop-off.

Ferris Rock: Trolling over the reef and around it.

Stave Island can: Trolling and I would bet casting near the can anchored would work.

Colchester reef: Trolling south and west side.

Also the west side of Savage out in the middle trolling north and south can yield a big guy pulling planer boards with deep divers off Laurvick releases. This is a good 10 pm - 2 am run.

Typically late July - August has been the Inland Sea walleye window for trolling. Beginning at Fishbladder / Cedar and peaking up at Savage around August 10th thru the end of the month.

Late June into July can be good near Juniper.

4 Brothers north to Valcour over deep water flatlining rapalas all night (June-September).

Anchoring near cans can be deadly for casting deep diving lures from spinning rods in those spots listed above especially during September when the trolling bite dies off.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
_vn_

Post by _vn_ »

this will keep me busy for some time :))