BOAT ACCESS NEWS MON MAY 1

Share info on fishing Champlain.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

BOAT ACCESS NEWS MON MAY 1

Post by popster »

I just received this email from Senator John Rogers, Sponsor of S.75, from Essex/Orleans District with an update. There will be another Conference Committee meeting tomorrow and things should be much clearer following that.

"Hi Bill. Senator Ashe asked me to respond as he has not been following the bill as close as I. The attendants have no enforcement powers and that is made explicit in the bill. We also will be adding language that makes it clear that they are not allowed to board the boat as that was never the intent. We have had a boat wash at Shadow lake for years and have never had a problem."

Senator John Rodgers
Essex/Orleans District
Glover VT 05839
Bill
"POINTER"
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Re: BOAT ACCESS NEWS MON MAY 1

Post by dickbaker »

Sounding better? Any chance that they can wax my boat after they wash it?
Dick
boatrampsleuth
Species: all

Post by boatrampsleuth »

Hi All, I posted on Sun. that the committee on Natural Resources, Fish and Wildlife would be conferencing today tue. 5/2 at 12:00 noon. Got home very late last night and didn't check messages until this a.m. Turns out that the conference was held yesterday at 4:00 p.m. Want to get this off quick as possible in case anyone was headed to Mont. This kind of change, as it turns out, is very common after the leg. returns from the weekend.

Thanks, T
p.s. will try to finish this post later
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Sounds to me they didn't want an audience, got to wonder.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Response from senator Rodgers to my email:

Hi Keith, I wish everyone who pulls a boat from Champlain was as responsible as you. The biggest risk to our inland lakes is boats coming from Champlain that have not been properly washed. The wash requirement is only when a certified boat wash is open. No one can gate a public access at any time and this bill does not change that.

Senator John S Rodgers
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

A couple of things here and I am not trying to ruffle any more feathers, but, if Sen. Rodgers thinks that milfoil mostly comes from Champlain, he could be wrong. Many inland lakes are already infested including the likes of Bomoseen, St.Catherine, Dunmore, etc., etc.
Also I have read the bill and I probably mised something, and no where on here or elsewhere have I heard how Sen Rodgers boat washes will be funded. Are already established boat washes going to funded by the state, relieving private Lake Associations? Are we fishermen going to support this program through funding from F and W and fishing and hunting licenses? Does the kayak and pleasure boat crowd once again get a monetary pass?
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Post by dickbaker »

In Maine all boats have to have a $20 sticker each year!! On the three lakes I fish in Maine I've yet to see a greeter to clean my boat?
Dick
PerchSlayerVT
Species: perch

Post by PerchSlayerVT »

Popster wrote:I just received this email from Senator John Rogers, Sponsor of S.75, from Essex/Orleans District with an update. There will be another Conference Committee meeting tomorrow and things should be much clearer following that.

"Hi Bill. Senator Ashe asked me to respond as he has not been following the bill as close as I. The attendants have no enforcement powers and that is made explicit in the bill. We also will be adding language that makes it clear that they are not allowed to board the boat as that was never the intent. We have had a boat wash at Shadow lake for years and have never had a problem."

Senator John Rodgers
Essex/Orleans District
Glover VT 05839
Maybe its just me, but I wouldn't think Shadow Lake v. Champlain is an even comparison ... how much boat traffic does little Shadow Lake get on a summer weekend day compared to a ramp on Champlain? Saying "don't worry we've never had a problem on Shadow" isn't a real predictor of the problems that will come with running a boat wash station at a ramp on Champlain.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

They finally printed my letter to the editor that I wrote 10 days ago to the Times Argus today
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

Has anyone heard anything? I heard back from my email to the legislators before the meeting, but nothing since.
________
Mike
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Looks like we made some progress. In the senate journal the committee seems to have agreed to change some wording. they added that inspectors cant board a vessel, and have no enforcement. Otherwise it has been adopted by the house and senate mostly unchanged.
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

http://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/D ... 9-2017.pdf

The first section requires the boat owner to inspect the boat/vehicle/trainer before launching, and again when pulling the boat out. Fairly common sense. Second part is not as restrictive as we originally thought:

(c) Aquatic nuisance species inspection station. A person transporting a
vessel to or from a water shall, prior to launching the vessel and upon leaving a
water, have the vessel, the motor vehicle transporting the vessel, the trailer,
and other equipment inspected and decontaminated at an approved aquatic
nuisance species inspection station if:
(1) an aquatic nuisance species inspection station is maintained at the
area where the vessel is entering or leaving the water;
(2) the aquatic nuisance species inspection station is open; and
(3) an individual operating the aquatic nuisance species inspection
station identifies the vessel for inspection or decontamination.

According to what's written, decontamination is this:
(16) “Decontaminate” means a process used to kill, destroy, or remove
aquatic nuisance species and other organic material that may be present in or
on a vessel, motor vehicle transporting the vessel, trailer, or other equipment.
Decontamination may include washing a vessel, motor vehicle transporting the
vessel, trailer, or other equipment with water at a sufficient temperature to kill
or remove aquatic nuisance species.

So not necessarily being sent somewhere for washdown, could just mean removal of aquatic nuisance by hand, which is what is done currently.
________
Mike