LATEST DEVELOPMENT ... BOAT ACCESS LAW 5pm Tues

Share info on fishing Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: LATEST DEVELOPMENT ... BOAT ACCESS LAW 5pm Tues

Post by C-Hawk »

You know, I've been thinking about this new hassle and others we have endured and I start to think about my investment every year. While I would never give up my campground willingly, let me put my yearly outlay in fishing terms: if I didn't fish Champlain , I could afford a nice trip for two every year to Alaska, plus a spring and an extended fall trip to some of my favorite Maine haunts. With retirement in the near future I am seriously going to have to do some reevaluation if this do-good trend continues. At one point we were considering becoming Vermont residents, but why leave Mass. for a colony?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I wonder if anyone has ever steam-cleaned their kayak?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

A simple solution for those of us fishing only Champlain, would be a state sticker or registration number that would be illegal on any other body of water.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I'm urging all our LCU members to write our legislators about voting no on this bill or at the minimum change the language in terms of the enforcement piece. Time is of the essence! It's in committee now for review and could come up for a final vote as early as next week. Our input is needed and the Fish and Wildlife have done a lot for our fishery with 10 lb. (Jaws size) salmon now swimming in our lake thanks to aggressive lamprey control. They have improved our access areas and provided sand at Converse and putting docks in early on 24 hours notice during our Frostbite season. They have supported our seminars the last 7 years with presentations. Please act now! It's our turn now to educate our representatives about this mandatory enforcement of this bill. It affects everyone who use these access areas. Please support this effort and pay it forward!

Thanks,

Ronald Winter
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I like the "Champlain only" idea for boats, trailers, and tow rigs.

I messaged all members of the committees and only heard back from my neighbor, Mary Sullivan. Pretty disappointing. If I had to guess I'd say they'd rather not hear dissenting views. So we really need to make ourselves heard.
dry net

Post by dry net »

Champlain only ? Why let them divide and conquer ? These are the tactics of the anti gun people. We should try and stand firm.
BottomDollar

Post by BottomDollar »

dry net wrote:Champlain only ? Why let them divide and conquer ? These are the tactics of the anti gun people. We should try and stand firm.
It's an alternative solution with a vanishingly small chance of happening. It's not even a proposal in Montpelier, we're just throwing ideas around. Hypothetically, it could be used to bypass the stations on Champlain. Then you'd have to get inspected at another body of water. There are lakes and ponds that don't have mussels, alewife, or fleas yet, I'm OK trying to keep them that way while still having unrestricted access to the only lake most of us use.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I called the Governor's Hot Line this afternoon, spoke to a lady, I presume the secretary. I mentioned I was from the North of the Border, and do spend a bunch of money (license, gaz, restaurants, motels, shopping) when fishing Champlain, and I am fully against that bill.
If they pass the bill, I will no longer drive 2.5 hours each way to have my boat and car inspected and pressure washed when I want to go fishing, I'll rather spend my money near home.
She was very receptive to my concerns, now let's hope she was sincere.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

call,call call
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Thanks for bringing my attention to this. I'll send a letter as well.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

Digitroll(Ron) I sent you a PM. Could you please let me know? Thanks
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

LCU should consider the hiring of a full time lobbyist to represent us at the statehouse, it's the way of the world unfortunately.s
browntown
Species: Ones with fins

Post by browntown »

Than you to all that are keeping this tread active. I sent out my E-mail today to my local reps and the entire committee. Placing a call to the Governor's office next. Now that I have the E-mail down I will be copying it and sending a similar note tomorrow.

Keep up the good work
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I called the Governors office today and brought up my concerns. They gave me two lawmakers names to email for more information:

John Rodgers (jrodgers@leg.state.vt.us)
Brian Campion (bcampion@leg.state.vt.us)
dry net

Post by dry net »

I also called the Governors office this am. The lady who I spoke with said that the bill had changed dramatically from yesterday. She was talking about boat owners being responsible for the cleaning of their boats and no mandatory wash downs or inspections by lake hosts. I hope this is true! The woman that I spoke with seemed concerned with our opinions and was very polite.