LATEST DEVELOPMENT ... BOAT ACCESS LAW 5pm Tues

Share info on fishing Champlain.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

LATEST DEVELOPMENT ... BOAT ACCESS LAW 5pm Tues

Post by popster »

Please refer to the previous posts “New Boat Ramp Laws” and “IF YOU TRAILER to LAKE CHAMPLAIN” for a more complete history of the Senate S75 bill concerning Aquatic Invasive Species Spread Prevention and the potential ramifications if this bill gets passed and put into law.

The amended version of S.75 that the passed the House vote today, was much different than everybody had originally thought and anticipated. As introduced by the Senate, Section C originally contained language that would require mandatory boat inspections and, in fact, this was NOT stricken from the bill. It was to have been replaced with more reasonable language, changing enforcement to education, as was originally proposed by the House amendment. That did not happen, in fact, the original section C language was retained and other language was added to the end of the bill with the result being NO CHANGE from the original Senate version of the bill.

THIS IS VERY BAD FOR US BOATERS USING LAUNCH FACILITIES

Mandatory boat inspections, decontamination and potential refusal of launch would become law if this bill passes.

So, having people contact the legislature asking them to support the House version of the bill as amended is actually counterproductive!

At this point what we need is for S.75 NOT TO BE PASSED IN ANY FORM AT ALL.

The way to do this is to have as many of us as possible call the Governor’s office (802) 828-3333 AND your local State Legislative Representative to let them know that S.75 is a horrible bill as it stands and as responsible boaters and anglers that purchase fishing licenses and registrations for our boats and trailers, mandatory inspections are unacceptable and we will not stand for it. There is no way that we will be allowing some kid hired as a summer volunteer to be climbing inside our boats conducting inspections and telling us whether we can or cannot launch.

Here's a link to all 180 State Legislators. If you click on the arrow in the "District" column, the counties are arranged alphabetically, making it easier to find your local reps.

http://legislature.vermont.gov//people/all/2018

We have to make the governor and Legislators take notice that this is unacceptable. A final vote by all the Legislators is pending and we still have a chance to nip this.

TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE, since it appears that both the Senate and the House have passed S.75.

All we can hope for is that Governor Scott does not sign it and the Legislative Representatives hear our concerns of how ridiculous this bill is as it stands.
Bill
"POINTER"
PerchSlayerVT
Species: perch

Re: LATEST DEVELOPMENT ... BOAT ACCESS LAW 5pm Tues

Post by PerchSlayerVT »

Popster thanks for posting this. I was reading your other post and saw that a member got a message back from their state rep saying that the law doesn't make inspections mandatory. I looked at todays version of S.75, and I'm pretty sure that STate Rep is wrong.

http://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/D ... df#page=40

The Journal of the Senate for TUESDAY, APRIL 25, 2017 at the bottom of page 676 and into page 677 has the following language:

The parts I highlighted in red makes it pretty clear to me that this means a mandatory inspection program.

(c) Aquatic nuisance species inspection station. It shall be a violation of this section for a person transporting a vessel to or from a water to not have the vessel, the motor vehicle transporting the vessel, the trailer, and other equipment inspected and, if determined necessary, decontaminated at an approved aquatic nuisance species inspection station prior to launching the vessel and upon leaving a water if:

(1) an aquatic nuisance species inspection station is maintained at the area where the vessel is entering or leaving the water;

(2) the aquatic nuisance species inspection station is open; and

(3) an individual operating the aquatic nuisance species inspection station identifies the vessel for inspection or decontamination.

This is bad bad bad bad!!!
Last edited by PerchSlayerVT on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PerchSlayerVT
Species: perch

Post by PerchSlayerVT »

Not to mention the fact that the bill also makes your tow vehicle FAIR GAME for inspection and decontamination, in case you didn't catch that the first time. See the second sentence in (c) I highlighted in red.

Yes - THEY WILL HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO INSPECT YOUR TRUCK!!!!!!!!!

WTF!!
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

While your lawmakers are at it can they get with ny on 3 rods for champlain and just get it done? Fishing with 2 rods is just so last century...lol
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

I'm with you Harry!
"OFF SEASON"
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

My email to our county reps:

Chris,

It seems that this bill is being pushed thru swiftly without concern of the dynamics and cost of implementing this on all ramp accesses to Lake Champlain. Not to mention the manpower to pull this off. How are fishermen that launch at 4 am going to comply with this inspection if no one is there to perform that inspection? How will this be policed after sunset and before sunrise? What about the camp owners that have private ramps or associations using private ramps? I don't believe the writers of this bill have open eyes to the ramifications or obstructions to the general public using these ramps when you see a 2 hour wait in line on any sunny weekend day at Malletts Bay at 11:00 am.

This bill should go back to the committee to reevaluate it. It seems there is urgency to just push something thru without consideration of the public that uses these ramps. Where are they going to get the money to provide all these inspections at the public ramps 7 days a week. Do you realize the Converse ramp is used 12 months out of the year?

This bill is a very bad idea the way it's written and will provide undue hardship on the folks that use these ramps.

Regards,

Ronald Winter
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Post by dickbaker »

What about the great number of private launches? I think funding would best go to cleanup of existing State launches and intense education of boaters?
Dick
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Great message digitroll.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Bill
"POINTER"
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I called the Governor's Hotline this morning and spoke with a sympathetic sounding staffer about S75 and my, our, views as a fishing community. I told her about one of the reasons I started fishing Champlain more and giving up on near-by Quabbin Resevior was because of burdensome regulations. While I can't vote, I can once again use my economic clout and I would urge all out of staters and Canadians to get involved. I also told her once again about this forum and she promised that they would have a look here at our comments. Vermont's economy is highly dependent on our tourism dollars and elected officials should listen to tourist's concerns. If I am headed up 200 miles to fish, what is another 25 miles to go to Westport or Willsboro where I may not have to wait for someone to clean a bunch of boats at the ramp of stuff that is already in the Lake? If I am going to become more NY related, I may as well buy their fishing licenses and boat registrations as well.This is an absurd law that will put a drain on local enforcement officials as there will be daily confrontations. Tourists will go elsewhere.
Too often Vermont (Massachusetts too) enacts these feel good , knee -jerk, restrictions, backed by a government saavy vocal minority, with little or no public input. Did anyone hear about public information meetings? This seems like a bums rush strategey.
The Hotline number is , 802-828-3333
Thanks Perchslayer for starting this and to Bill for all his work, let's have more education not regulation.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

C-Hawk wrote:let's have more education not regulation.
Right on!!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

I just call and let her know that many quebecers will stay in Quebec instead of going through all that cleaning stuff; I also emphasis the fact that we are bringing a lot of money for licenses and other misceleannous expenses. She understand and they are very concern about this.
jim
Species: Salmon, Trout

Post by jim »

Here is a response i received from Sen. John Rodgers. No idea if its the case.

The bill will not effect boat ramps that do not have a certified boat wash or greeter program which is most of the ramps in VT. There are only around 28 ramps in the state that have washes or greeters. Most washes and greeters will be able to move boat through in about the same amount of time that it takes most people to launch.

Senator John Rodgers
Essex/Orleans District
Glover VT 05839

It start with something similar in the province of Quebec about 15 years ago and guest what! Access are more and more difficult and to help them for the parking maintenance and the washing machines etc.. it cost a fortune now to launch our boat.
Be aware it could be only a start!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Lots of views and only a handful of responses. Everyone is busy, busy these days but it is my hope that we can all write a quick email and/or make a phone call in opposition of this bill.
If you haven't done so, please try to find the time.
In the long term...this is going to carry as much or more weight as sea lamprey control, cormorant control, fish stocking programs, and many other programs that are close to our hearts.
Also, please help spread the word to those you know. Thanks.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Thanks Raz and others! Andre just called and were getting some help from north of the border. :)

Thanks,

Ronald Winter