New boat ramp laws

Share info on fishing Champlain.
PerchSlayerVT
Species: perch

Re: New boat ramp laws

Post by PerchSlayerVT »

blackghost ... your correct, I joined just so I could post this. my stake is as a concerned fisherman who wants to launch my boat without all the crazy overregulation. I'm a panfish guy mostly but bass fish too and got word on this from a fellow bass fishing friend. its being talked about a lot in that circle and I thought the champlain guys should probably hear about it. I'm not a big forum person, don't spend much time on these sorts of sites but I joined just to let people here know about it. I don't like it. i'll leave it to others hear to form there own opinions.
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Post by dickbaker »

ThreeBuoys wrote:Fishslayer is correct, they are more worried about boats leaving Champlain and carrying invasive species to other bodies of water.
I talked to my sister-in-law who is on the House commitee and listed as one of the contacts.
Most likely the BIG concern. Since Champlain now sustains 50 known aquatic invasive species , which might be spread to other lakes or even out of state?? I would ask that boats leaving Champlain park for at least 24 hrs. (more like 48 hrs) prior to launching into another water body!

I would love to see some funding go toward cleaning up the massive volume of invasive weeds already stacked deep at the existing Champlain launches.
Dick
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

My Question is where is the money going to come from for there to be a lake steward at every launch that seems like a lot of extra money that is going to have to come from sportsmen because the general public does not pay anything now for launches
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I still can't believe that Vermont just now realizes it needs to do more, where every other New England state has had a program in effect for years. Too late, like trying to put toothpaste back in the tube. The monitoring should be at the body of water they are trying to protect not Champlain.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote: The monitoring should be at the body of water they are trying to protect not Champlain.
I agree. Is Quebec supposed to participate in this? New York? If not, why bother?
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Excellent post PerchSlayer. Hopefully, the Forum community realizes how important it is to voice their opinion regarding this Bill.
See my post "If You Trailer ....."
Bill
"POINTER"
PerchSlayerVT

Post by PerchSlayerVT »

Just a follow-up .... I saw in other thread on S.75 that a forum member got a message back from their state rep saying that the law doesn't make inspections mandatory. I looked at todays version of S.75, and I'm pretty sure that STate Rep is wrong.

http://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/D ... df#page=40

The Journal of the Senate for TUESDAY, APRIL 25, 2017 at the bottom of page 676 and into page 677 has the following language:

The parts I highlighted in red makes it pretty clear to me that this means a mandatory inspection program.

(c) Aquatic nuisance species inspection station. It shall be a violation of this section for a person transporting a vessel to or from a water to not have the vessel, the motor vehicle transporting the vessel, the trailer, and other equipment inspected and, if determined necessary, decontaminated at an approved aquatic nuisance species inspection station prior to launching the vessel and upon leaving a water if:

(1) an aquatic nuisance species inspection station is maintained at the area where the vessel is entering or leaving the water;

(2) the aquatic nuisance species inspection station is open; and

(3) an individual operating the aquatic nuisance species inspection station identifies the vessel for inspection or decontamination.

One more thing - look at the second sentence I highlighted in red. This law will give authority to inspectors to ALSO INSPECT YOUR TOW VEHICLE!

If not for any other reason, this is a FLAWED bill! What on earth are they inspecting our vehicles for !!!!??????
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

The vehicle inspection is for any debris that may tag along the vehicle. When we back our tow vehicle on the ramp they go into the water a little. I have in the past in some places (st albans bay, crown pt bridge) pulled my truck out and had it pretty well contaminated with plant life stuck on axle, breaks, etc. I don't think that the language means this person will be looking in your rig, though I guess the language is ambiguous.

As for the part that talks about a violation, I read that to mean that if there is a greeter there to inspect, and you purposefully bypass them or launch when they have requested decon that you would be violating. It states that the only time a violation can occur is when
(1) an aquatic nuisance species inspection station is maintained at the
area where the vessel is entering or leaving the water;
(2) the aquatic nuisance species inspection station is open; and
(3) an individual operating the aquatic nuisance species inspection
station identifies the vessel for inspection or decontamination.

So if the station is not open there is no inspection requirement. If there is no station again no inspection, only if there is a station and the greeter requests an inspection and you willfully ignore and launch, or ignore a request to spray down and launch will you be violating. I am not sure what the current greeters have for authority, but they are at many inland lakes already inspecting boats at launch.
PerchSlayerVT

Post by PerchSlayerVT »

All of what you said is correct. and of course I know why they may want to look at the vehicle, but the bill is too vague and completely open to interpretation of that part. it could be INSIDE your vehicle, since it doesn't say it's restrict to looking for invasives on the outside. and of course the rest applies to ramps with an open and operating inspection station. How else could there be an inspection unless someone is there. But when the inspector IS at the ramp, you MUST stop and succumb to an inspection, inside and out (without probable cause and a violation of the 1st amendment). the current greeters at many inland lakes do this on a volunteer basis. you are not obligated to stop and they cannot get in your vehicle or prevent you from launching. This bill changes all of that. I think you need to serious reconsider how this bill will affect you.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

because the tow vehicle is in the water too.This bill will kill fishing on Lake Champlain on weekends if these wash (inspection stations are in place on already busy Vt. state FISHING accesses.IMHO.These stations to be effective must be in place on the other lakes to keep the invasives out of lakes that are not infected. How do you know if a boat has zebra mussle eggs in it?or Asian clam eggs ,or any other of these organisms.?you don't. that means every boat that leaves LC would have to be contaminated.Why is it always the recreational boats that get hammered by these feel good laws?
What about jet skis,sail boats and kayaks,are they subject to this new ruling?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

What about private ramps, are they going to gate every camp owners private ramp? I would bet that there are more ramps on Champlain than the rest of the state combined and it would seem much easier to monitor non Champlain ramps and affect way less people.
PerchSlayerVT

Post by PerchSlayerVT »

fishingmachine and chawk - these are all reasons why every fisherman has to speak up, right now, this week, to their state reps and also call the Governor's office hotline (802-828-3333) and tell them that S75 is NOT a good bill and is not the way to deal with invasive species.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

i ALREADY DID THAT ,ONE OF OUR LOCAL REPS READ MY E-MAIL IN THE HOUSE,BUT I WILL KEEP TRYING
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Post by dickbaker »

C-Hawk wrote:What about private ramps, are they going to gate every camp owners private ramp? I would bet that there are more ramps on Champlain than the rest of the state combined and it would seem much easier to monitor non Champlain ramps and affect way less people.
That's for sure. In the past I've used three private ramps on Keeler Bay alone?
Dick
Shortstop
Species: Any

Post by Shortstop »

This is not just on the Vermont side..... NY state boat launches will be pressure washing boats. Training for Steward staff as started and will start in 2 weeks. The boat launches will be crazy.... BUT please be patience. Tight lines..........