Sonar/GPS Unit Recommendations

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Polski Rybak
Species: Trout/Salmon

Sonar/GPS Unit Recommendations

Post by Polski Rybak »

Hello everyone.

Looking to upgrade my rig with a new Sonar/GPS combo unit. Leaning towards a Hummingbird Helix 10 CHIRP DI Sonar/GPS G2N Combo, but was wondering if any of you have recommendations before I make that kind of investment.

Thanks,

Polski Rybak
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Sonar/GPS Unit Recommendations

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

You can also look at the Lowrance Elite Ti 9" with the Totalscan transducer that gives you: 2D, side & downscan and CHIRP. You also got wifi that allowed you to mirror you're screen on a smartphone or a tablette and it's TOUCHSCREEN; once you use a touchscreen you never want to go back; so easy to use!!
Fishing Junkie
Species: Walley, salmon, brown

Post by Fishing Junkie »

I bought a Humminbird 5 years ago, still have it and it is working great. But, one thing for sure, if I will have to buy a new one, it will be a Lowrance for sure. Having the ability to mirror your screen to an iPhone makes everybody happy. You don't have to answer the same question to your friends in the boat asking you how many feet of water here ? I think you are too fast or too slow ?
:D
FishnChef
Species: Salmon

Post by FishnChef »

I like my Helix 9 down Imaging GPS. switched from Elite 9 chirp and don't really notice any difference in the abilities of the fishfinder aspect and having the ability to make your own maps as you go is pretty sweet.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I want to thank Andre(Wallyandre) for his help with my Lowrance Elite 7x,I was ready to deep 6 it until Andre explained to me how to set it up properly. 4/23/17 was the first time I had the boat out this year to try it after Andres advice ,and it worked!!! THANK YOU ,ANDRE!!!
Wallyandre (Andre)

My pleasure!

Glad to hear that it work.

Fish on!
Polski Rybak
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Polski Rybak »

Thanks Gents,

Settled on this year's Lowrance HDS-9 Gen 2 unit for a good price. I got the old 5" unit with the boat in 2005, so I desperately needed an upgrade. Finally having an integrated GPS will improve my chances. Went with the Navionics+ Regions mapping. Hopefully I don't need Wallyandre's help on the install or troubleshooting. Would be great if the transducer fits into my old bracket.

Polski Rybak
Wallyandre (Andre)

Yes you're old transducer can be use but I'm not crazy about using a old ducer with a new unit.
Go on Lowrance website on the Youtube section and take a look on some vids related to settings