Facebook for LCU?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Facebook for LCU?

Post by fishy1 »

BottomDollar wrote:That's ransomware. An antivirus should have blocked it before it was able to execute, but, yeah, it's one of the perils of the internet. I know it's no help to you now, but they usually come from fake download buttons or email files. Sorry that happened to you. I'm just reiterating that this isn't Facebook doing this, it's malicious software from somewhere else.

Sorry, I'm not here to defend Facebook or lecture anyone on web security (I'm not an expert by any means), just trying to help where I can. If you have a windows machine Microsoft Security Essentials is free and bundled in Windows 10 and it's a pretty good AV. Best of luck with your troubles.

Wow, this is pretty off-topic now. Apologies and carry on....
no apology needed just relating to my experience with facebook and only been on it 2 weeks. i have norton security on my computers and im assuming because it was an ad that they paid facebook for norton couldnt block it. what i do know it several people were at best buys with the same ad and they got blocked to so they went to best buy also. all was reported to facebook and not one reply back. also i have never had these ads on my computer only once and it was on facebook. norton normally took care of everything else. haveing my profile stolen my ist week also didnt set good with me also and others. thanks for you imput i really appreciated it and you dont need to apologize because your info made sense. :)
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Re: Facebook for LCU?

Post by Ludo »

BottomDollar wrote: Think of a sentence that you'll remember. For example, "this little piggy went to market." That then becomes an acronym like "tlpWENT2m." That's hard to crack because it's not a word or name combined with numbers. (Don't use that one now that it's written here in plain text :lol: ). The cracking tools use dictionary algorithms, so if it's a word it will eventually get cracked.
The best is a sentence that you'll remember, but a different for each site.

Example:
I had a complicated password that I used for different website, example: LinkedIn and Hotmail.

Linkedin has been hacked and some dudes has stolen login name and password. The login was the email Hotmail. What they did ? They try to login to the Hotmail account with the same password.

They can try the same username + password for Facebook too, there are a lot of people that share the same complicated password (or not complicated password) for different account. Worst: they use the same password for their job. Reading all the email of the hotmail account, they can discover a lot of usefull infos. So hackers can access the computer inside a company and attack the company by inside just because LinkedIn has been hacked.