Facebook for LCU?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Facebook for LCU?

Post by fishy1 »

my 2 cents . got on facebook 2 weeks ago due to family and and fishing freinds. within one week pirates took over my page and sent duplicate requests to my freinds and relatives. since that last week pirates have taken over 3 more of my freinds pictures and all the same we have in our profile. its a constant thing on facebook so beware.
pictures of fish well i can down load them on my computer when i get home and put them on the lcu with my post that day so a matter of hours sure isnt going to make a difference. i can send them direct to my email from my phone but i also carry a canon eos which i download pics .
i also use post image and those pics on my post image can be put anywhere in a matter of seconds. there always there unless i delete them.
facebook isnt for everyone lcu forum is.
Committed (DA)
Species: Cold water

Post by Committed (DA) »

Facebook = THUMBS DOWN
When I grow up I want to be,
One of those harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.
"I'll live and die a fisherman"
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

Facebook page will not replace the forum.

Gerry and I use it to promote LCU activities. Sometime we post funny pictures or other stuffs in the idea that people will share it. It is a way to promote LCU website and forum.

For live streaming of LCU event, Facebook is a nice tool for that, I've to check if it is possible to embed the live stream on LCU website when it will happen
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Thanks Ludo! I knew there had to be some good stuff promoting LCU with Facebook. The glass is still half full! :) Sorry for any confusion here for forum readers about enhancing our existing forum thru Facebook. It seemed the message was taken as a replacement option which was never my intent.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Ludo wrote:Facebook page will not replace the forum.

Gerry and I use it to promote LCU activities. Sometime we post funny pictures or other stuffs in the idea that people will share it. It is a way to promote LCU website and forum.

For live streaming of LCU event, Facebook is a nice tool for that, I've to check if it is possible to embed the live stream on LCU website when it will happen
This is correct...often we use the facebook page to promote this forum. When our members are out and posting photos on the forum, we often use those pictures and have something like "visit http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/forums for details shared by our members"
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thank you ludo and raz.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

For you guys having your accounts compromised, it's not facebook, it's your passwords. Facebook is simply an easy target.

Think of a sentence that you'll remember. For example, "this little piggy went to market." That then becomes an acronym like "tlpWENT2m." That's hard to crack because it's not a word or name combined with numbers. (Don't use that one now that it's written here in plain text :lol: ). The cracking tools use dictionary algorithms, so if it's a word it will eventually get cracked.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Bottom Dollar, any place that has that much of a "target" ratio sounds like a place to avoid to me. It's bad enough I have to change the pass word on my regular e-mail account every other day since everyone's account is being hacked. For a non "techie" like me, remembering an acronym like that, which I guess would most likely have be changed on a regular basis for "security" is too much. I'm locked out of my ICE SHANTY account because of this stuff and I can't get back in. I myself don't need the "real time" photos, I can wait. It would be nice if people did share pix and info as they once did on the site but more than one member has said "those days are gone"... That's a shame.
Last edited by jimbow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Post by dickbaker »

jimbow wrote:Bottom Dollar, any place that has that much of a "target" ratio sounds like a place to avoid to me. It's bad enough I have to change the pass word on my regular e-mail account every other day since everyone's account is being hacked. For a non "techie" like me, remembering an acronym like that, which I guess would most likely be changed on a regular basis for "security" is too much. I'm locked out of my ICE SHANTY account because of this stuff and I can't get back in. I myself don't need the "real time" photos, I can wait. It would be nice if people did share pix and info as they once did on the site but more than one member has said "those days are gone"... That's a shame.
Jimbow, I hope "those days" aren't gone. What happended with you ice shanty account???
Dick
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Digitrol:

You appear to be an unintentional victim of my comments. You have given and continue to give as much as anyone I know to this forum. Keep up the great work
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tamiron wrote:Digitrol:

You appear to be an unintentional victim of my comments. You have given and continue to give as much as anyone I know to this forum. Keep up the great work
x2
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

BottomDollar wrote:For you guys having your accounts compromised, it's not facebook, it's your passwords. Facebook is simply an easy target.

Think of a sentence that you'll remember. For example, "this little piggy went to market." That then becomes an acronym like "tlpWENT2m." That's hard to crack because it's not a word or name combined with numbers. (Don't use that one now that it's written here in plain text :lol: ). The cracking tools use dictionary algorithms, so if it's a word it will eventually get cracked.
facebook also gives out your page to advertisers for 13 cents a page shown as it already has happened to me . they will block you from getting on facebook to sell their product which the one for me was internet security. my bank said to stop my account and change all of my accounts. did that and had to change everything on line also . the bank also recommended me to bring my computer to someone to be cleaned. brought it to best buy . they looked at it and said my computer was safe from a virus because i was signed on as a guest. i showed them the internet security ad that blocked me and said they cant do anything now. best buy told me it happens all the time and they see 10 to 20 each day similiar to mine. so its not just the passwords.
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

That's ransomware. An antivirus should have blocked it before it was able to execute, but, yeah, it's one of the perils of the internet. I know it's no help to you now, but they usually come from fake download buttons or email files. Sorry that happened to you. I'm just reiterating that this isn't Facebook doing this, it's malicious software from somewhere else.

Sorry, I'm not here to defend Facebook or lecture anyone on web security (I'm not an expert by any means), just trying to help where I can. If you have a windows machine Microsoft Security Essentials is free and bundled in Windows 10 and it's a pretty good AV. Best of luck with your troubles.

Wow, this is pretty off-topic now. Apologies and carry on....
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

tamiron wrote:Digitrol:

Ron (digitrol), I hope you don't feel that any of my posts on this thread is in any way a personal attack. I for my self, am just sharing my views of the trend toward social media in general and the wish for the site to be used as it was founded. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will use Face Book, it's just not for me. And I'd like to see an effort to somehow "entice" people to use the site as it was originally intended rather than use a different source. Your extensive knowledge and past sharing of it is in good stead with ALL members I'm sure. And please do continue to voice your GOOD intentions, ideas and sharing on the site...Thanks... P.S. That goes for you too Bottom Dollar...
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

My intentions were to help not take away from this site. Maybe my exuberance or enthusiasm to add this made some members that replied believe it was luring people to replace United as I kept seeing the word "replace" in responses. What I have learned in this few months on Facebook was there is a lot gobbly goop out there uncontrollable as mentioned and most people here probably wouldn't care to sift thru and ads or as I call the posts "joke email" you know that funny email sent to tons of people from that crazy uncle in the family or friend distribution lists... It seems Facebook is a great place for those Funniest home video junkies.

I was glad that Ludo already had in place something that would draw people to events on our site posted there (800 something followers). That was what I was hoping for. I have been using Facebook to draw folks to our workshops and advertise it before each event that don't go on here or people that have left United to post their catches in photos only as was mentioned by Andre. It's another form of median to display photos of catches in real time people will post that day. Kinda of like Snap chat has replaced Facebook among the Milenniums (kids 25 and under). They think Facebook is for the older folks. :) So back to the real time photos of fish caught in the water that hour or minute during the day. I guess in hind site that would be good for each as an individual to do on their own if they wanted to. As they wouldn't probably post or share to LCU's Facebook page which would be an option for them. So maybe bad idea as a way to get more interest by linking those photos on a LCU page for individuals that left United that are currently posting on Facebook as an individual with no information. Just pictures. I was trying to bridge that gap of the missing members so we could see those photos linked here maybe with a LCU Facebook page link.

Well it was a thought out loud. Maybe not the best approach. The original intent was to get more exposure to United. This explanation would have been more specific. It's all good.

Thanks!

Ron