Facebook for LCU?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Facebook for LCU?

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Is it time to expand LCU's presence?
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Re: Facebook for LCU?

Post by kman05446 »

I hope not. Its fine the way it is.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

Facebook is much easier to post photos,you can do it while still in the boat real time from your phone
digitroll (ron)

I am late to the Facebook party for myself.... but it's hard to ignore when several former posters here are posting their fish photos there. I look at it as an enhancement not a replacement for the forum. Details are here and tips and information. It would be great to have an LCU Facebook page for those instant photos happening during the day for those folks that don't want to go thru Photo Bucket and the time to post on this forum. It's a nice step forward to have a place to go for the photos or to post photos out on the water that is a lot more convenient.
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

Facebook is a lot easier for posting pictures, I'm guilty of this haven't posted much on here in the past year or so but I'm going to change that this year. More reports and pics!
Ludo
Species: Salmon, salmon and trout

Post by Ludo »

Ancient Mariner
Species: salmon lake trout walleye

Post by Ancient Mariner »

I think Facebook is NOT the place to be for this forum. Lack of control of where the information goes, no control of shared info, on and on. I would like to see us put more effort in a program to upload pictures better.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Ancient Mariner wrote:I think Facebook is NOT the place to be for this forum. Lack of control of where the information goes, no control of shared info, on and on. I would like to see us put more effort in a program to upload pictures better.
I myself, am technology challenged, and I hope this is not going to be the trend. I don't have a "smart phone" or have any idea how to use one, my computer is still an "XP" and I don't belong to any "social media" nor do I ever plan on getting in on any of them. I agree with Ancient Mariner, if posting pictures is the "problem", fix it. It was actually easier a couple years ago to post a pix. You hit a button below, a couple simple steps later, viola! Why can't that system be brought back? If you want to send a few close friends pix on your phone you can do so, but not everyone has access to all the social media outlets. And with all the hackers and so forth out there, nor do I want to be on it. I myself don't want to be shut out of this site or it's info/pix just because I don't belong to a social media format. Why would we have this site if everyone is going to post their stuff on face book? The fact that this site may be getting "shrinking posts" or not getting the posts it use to, is in my opinion, is due to Facebook and the members who choose to post ONLY there...NO ONE is asking anyone to give up their favorite fishing hole or any "specific detail" info on the site, but a pix of a nice fish or a story with "edited" info of it's capture is really nice to see and/or hear...Sorry I didn't mean to rant, but you get the idea.
Last edited by jimbow on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Facebook make things easy for posting photos and videos but that's about it. When it become more on the education side or exhange of infos it down't worth a dime.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I've always used a third party image host, so I didn't realize that there's no way to upload photos here on the forum without using external links.

If anyone would care to learn how to do this, it is not complicated or technologically intimidating.

1. Register an account at a free image host site. photobucket.com and imgur.com are two of the most popular web apps.

2. Upload the photo you want to share to the site.

3. To share the photo here, select the "BBcode" link for the image. The image link will be contained between these bracketed tags: [IMG#]...[/IMG#]. I put "#" in the brackets at the end so they'll hopefully display here...the actual tags will not have a "#". Copy the link (ctrl-c or right click "copy"). Be sure to include the IMG codes within the brackets.

4. Paste the link (ctrl-v or right click "paste"). The image will now appear in your post.

Edit: personal opinion here, but I think imgur.com is a far more mature site than photobucket. They both have ads, but photobucket looks like hot garbage on mobile devices.

Edit #2: As Ludo pointed out, LCU does have a facebook page with 843 followers. You can post photos to this page with any facebook profile.

Yes, this forum is somewhat bare-bones, and it would be nice to have the ability to upload images directly to a forum database. But we need to keep in mind the fact that most of us don't pay a dime to use this service, and the hosting requirements for an image database would be more expensive...not to mention the additional coding that would have to be done free of charge. Linking to third party image hosts is not a lot to ask in return for all that this forum has to offer.
dickbaker
Species: Salmon, pike and bass

Post by dickbaker »

I've had a facebook account for years but I have never used it. It is now listed as SPAM on my email?
On the other hand I still use a flip phone??
Dick
digitroll (ron)

Never mean't to be a replacement for the forum....but maybe a place where members post there photos if there out fishing during the day in real time. Reports and details still on this site. Thanks Ludo for pointing us to that LCU location on Facebook. Just a thought as more folks are posting there catches (photos) there I have noticed especially on Lake Ontario and Champlain.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

For my part, until Ludo says he's done, I will continue to support this forum and the great fishery in Champlain. The forum is home!

A lot of great memories and friends, whom I've never met and a whole lot more to develop as friends.

I guess my point is, if you want to switch to another forum or facebook, please do. But if you like what Ludo has given us and you really are interested in helping these forum members then treat the glass as half full and try to fill it up instead of emptying it or suggesting alternatives.

This is a free country and everyone should get the chance to enjoy it the way they prefer.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
digitroll (ron)

Jim.... I was merely suggesting another location to view Photos of fish that was tied into LCU as an enhancement with an LCU Facebook presence (Ludo said was set up).

For real time photos for people to check out it's another place to look. I am not jumping ship or suggesting that. The glass is half full not empty with this suggestion. As Todd mentioned on another thread there has been a significant exchange of information thru group texts and photos for a lot of long time with current members here the last few years as technology improves with communication that is real time.

LCU is a treasure trove of information and advice here along with seminars. That will never change. Facebook is a place to post real time photos for folks on the water that day. If they prefer they can write about it here that evening. No it's not going away or I am not suggesting that. Maybe I sent the wrong message that was interpreted as a place to replace United. Not so. I was looking at it as a value add if someone wanted to see real time photos of fish caught that day. Hope this clears up the confusion of that message.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Ancient Mariner wrote:I think Facebook is NOT the place to be for this forum. Lack of control of where the information goes, no control of shared info, on and on. I would like to see us put more effort in a program to upload pictures better.

Ditto... Facebook is not something I use at all... It is too uncontrolled.

There already is a Facebook LCU page.
Matt B