Lite Bite Question

Share info on fishing Champlain.
JDK
Species: Togue

Lite Bite Question

Post by JDK »

I live in northern Maine where we have very good salmon, lake trout, and whitefish fishing. I would say that we don't have the number of quality fish that you have in Champlain with the average salmon in the 16-18 inch range and lake trout 18-22 inches. We do get bigger but those are average. I have used inlines with leadcore for years (more than I care to admit) and find that it is a grind with our average sized fish. Basically it kills their fight. Also, our lures don't typically seem as large as the ones you use as our principle forage is smelt rather than alewives.

My questions revolves around the lite bite as I am considering adding that to my bag of tricks. How much drag does the lite bite have after being tripped and does it diminish the fight of the fish at all? Are there issues with pulling smaller trebles and singles hooks such as on the DB Smelt?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Lite Bite Question

Post by Reelax »

A lite bite when triggered falls back to the swivel above the leader, the triggered litebite cuts right thru the water so there is no drag, just the weight. I have seen salmon pull the light bite out of the water on jumps at times so they don't diminish the fight much at all. The drag is higher with the deep dive kits installed with the larger weight, but still not bad.

I would purchase one and try it if I were you.. It can really help the catch rate.
Matt B
JDK
Species: Togue

Post by JDK »

Thank you. Going to spend the money.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

As Reelax mentioned, the drag is very minimal once the litebite triggered. I recommend you add at least one to your arsenal.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Post by Cas »

I've used them on Moosehead Lake up there, I certainly think they have a place in your boat. Good luck.
________
Mike
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Another vote for trying it out. I have 2 on my boat for when I have company. The last largebsalmon i had hooked had 0 problems going airborne with the slide diver 6 ft behind it. Have caught numerous smaller salmon and lakers with no diminished fight. It just adds weight, but at an angle to where it actually glides thru the water, and you feel every head shake. Lead core does kill the smaller fish fights for real though!
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I love my lite bite and it works very well, sometimes it makes all the difference in the world on picky fish as you can pay out as much line away from the diver as you want unlike the dispy's. As far as a tool goes I recommend it highly but it adds a lot of noticeable weight to the line, especially with the deep diving kits. They are made in different sizes, as long as you don't have to go too deep maybe a smaller size would a good place to start, it's cousin, the slide diver is a good option too and is a little cheaper and I believe they come in smaller sizes than lite bites.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I am not a big fan of the weight kit. They seem to pull very hard when used in conjunction with the bigger ring. I like the standard Lite Bite out of the package. They don't pull that hard and on a 4 setting can get me down 40-70 feet when I tested with my Fish Hawk TD depending length of line on the counter which varied from 130-150-180-210 feet of line out.