Is slow trolling with a main engine detrimental?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
digitroll (ron)

Is slow trolling with a main engine detrimental?

Post by digitroll (ron) »

One of my favorite topics! 10 seasons trolling with Troll Control with the main engine up on the dash changing rpm's by plus or minus 10 rpm's. Watch this! I am at 1,500 hours trolling with a main engine.

No Worries! I love this topic. People have been saying to me for years...I won't go on the water with one engine / one battery. :) I say why not?

Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Is slow trolling with a main engine detrimental?

Post by Reelax »

Approaching 500hrs of slow trolling in my 2015 90hp merc. Love the adjustability with troll control, and the gas burn is less than a gallon every 2.5 hrs. Auto pilot works well in wind with big prop, and the weight on the transom is held way down.

The big motor is also much more quiet than a kicker running high rpm. You can't even hear the big motor running at 600rpms.. Much better for spring shallow fishing..
Matt B
pieman9155
Species: trout

Post by pieman9155 »

love my troll control
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

How a about a Merc 115 Optimax year 2013? I d like to get rid of the 9.9 4-stroke merc and use the big motor to troll for all the reasons you guys mentioned ,except I don't have the speed control on the dash
digitroll (ron)

You can add a digital rpm gauge as part of a troll control kit Frank for your 115 Opti. It will work great. Just get some 18" bags from Amish Outfitters if you want to get down to 1.5 to 2 mph if needed. I run one bag on mine most of the time which keeps me around 2.3 at 700 rpm with my 150 4 stroke. Different with a 115 as it may get down to 2.3 without a bag. My other boat would.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

thanks Ron,I will try the opti soon as I can,I have used it when the wind picks up and the little motor won't handle it
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Are there different makes and models of troll controls? I have a Mercury 50 HP four stroke. What have you guys found to be a good troll control unit?
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

I run a Merc 2005 Optimax 115hp with close to 1000 hours. I installed a troll control 4 years ago and love it. I get down to just over 2.0 mph without wind. I am seriously thinking or removing my 9.9 hp kicker as I seldom use it.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

There are two models depending which you like. Reelax and others have the newer fully digital model. I have the older model that is digital and analog combined. The newer one looks really cool! They both do the same thing. Vermont Home and Marine can do the install in Williston. Some have done them themselves.

Running a lower pitch prop by 2 degrees will shave a couple tenths at idle. Also trimming your motor up a little bit when trolling will help slow it down a tiny bit as well. I like to keep my motor around 700 rpm's usually with one bag and if I have to be up around 800-900 I will remove the bag. I will need two out with a big following sea...but that is rare.

Here is a video I made 4 years ago for the troll control with my then new 150 hp:

ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I have the Mercury Troll Control with my Mercury 150 and although I don't have the hours that some of the other guys on here do (300 hours in 2 seasons) it is a great toll along with a Fish Hawk, AP, it is a huge difference in fishing success.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Even with my worn 1987 Islander, I love my set up. Dumped the kicker and put on a new 2014 Merc 115 fourstroke and have fished for 650 hours in 3 seasons with the only glitch being my own fault. I let the bilge fill with water when the bow was lower than the drain on the boat lift and water seeped in the top of the tank or the fill pipe. With AP and Mercury troll control, I couldn't be happier . I am conscidering throwing a 7.5 in the bow for emergency back up though.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

C-Hawk wrote:I am conscidering throwing a 7.5 in the bow for emergency back up though.
Yeah, stuff happens even with new engines, and with no tow service on the broad lake it could be the difference between getting home or getting blown onto rocks. I run a dinosaur 2 stroke main but I'd still have a kicker stowed on board if I repower.
digitroll (ron)

I have been fortunate....1,500 hours on two engines 115 hp Mercury 4 stroke (still going with Fly Guy) and my 150 hp Mercury 4 stroke on my Starcraft 196 beginning my 5th season. Never stranded in 10 years that require a tow. There are events we can't control like water in fuel / broken shift or throttle cables / bad water pump / hitting something / dead battery / steering failure. Some of these issues thru preventative maintenance can help the odds. I have no electric motor or spare motor on board and only have 1 starting battery. I do keep a jump pack (never had to use).
Predator hunter
Species: Lake trout

Post by Predator hunter »

Is there a similar gadget for my evinrude e-tec 90 hp ?
pieman9155
Species: trout

Post by pieman9155 »

i have the evinrude e-tec 90 hp with troll control on my boat love it