Is slow trolling with a main engine detrimental?

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Re: Is slow trolling with a main engine detrimental?

Post by Surprise »

What do I buy and where do I get it ?

Thanks in advance......BTW

On # 2 Evinrude 90 E-tek and am disappointed that I cannot find such a control from BRP until 150 hp.

I do have my engage forward set at 600 which give me 1.5 mph LOVE IT!

Randy
Fish On!
karl

Post by karl »

BottomDollar wrote:
C-Hawk wrote:...and with no tow service on the broad lake it could be the difference between getting home or getting blown onto rocks.
I didn't know that. What is the reason for no towing on the broad lake? I'm well north of there, but
assumed it would be more available on the broad lake...hell, it's only about 12 miles wide, I believe, and I venture to Burlington frequently.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

I have no input regarding brand new motors because I have a kid in Norwich and another on the way, but my two 55 four strokes are both turning 49 years old this year. To my knowledge, they have never been out of service and I have run the hell out of them for the past 6 years or so, and always troll with one, often for 6 to 8 hours straight, never a problem; so I would think that any modern 4 stroke as a main engine should do the same thing even better, and I have heard that the E-tec's are awesome, idle all day without issue and burn next to no fuel and oil running hard. That being said, having that second motor back there really takes the worry out of a trip 15 miles out into Ontario. A friend had to run his boat back in with the kicker last year when his nearly new Honda main motor shut down because of a faulty temperature code - new or not, you never know.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

karl wrote:
I didn't know that. What is the reason for no towing on the broad lake? I'm well north of there, but
assumed it would be more available on the broad lake...hell, it's only about 12 miles wide, I believe, and I venture to Burlington frequently.
There's a TowboatUS service way up north, Rouses Point I think, but they don't come down this way. Or at least BoatUS doesn't advertise it as such. No SeaTow, either.
karl

Post by karl »

BottomDollar wrote:
There's a TowboatUS service way up north, Rouses Point I think, but they don't come down this way. Or at least BoatUS doesn't advertise it as such. No SeaTow, either.
I'm aware of that service as I'm only 5 miles from Rouses Point...yet, I see their towboat dry-docked right after Halloween, sitting in the marina yard. About the time when all the fuel docks close, too. With diesel-heat in a pilothouse, I can extend the season until the lake freezes, but there's no support, and hauling 5 gal. gascans from a gas station gets old real quick, too.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

BottomDollar wrote:
C-Hawk wrote:I am conscidering throwing a 7.5 in the bow for emergency back up though.
Yeah, stuff happens even with new engines, and with no tow service on the broad lake it could be the difference between getting home or getting blown onto rocks. I run a dinosaur 2 stroke main but I'd still have a kicker stowed on board if I repower.
Amen.
billfishermc
Species: salmon,lake trout, bass

Post by billfishermc »

I have run an Etec 50 for trolling more than 10 years, trolling plate for slow, rpm's set at 450 in gear. Electric 80 # for steering at the trolling speed. Low current draw allows charging all batteries with onboard 12/24v. Only downfall is changing plugs twice a year (idle/low rpm's erodes plug gap).
SEMPER_FIshing
Species: Trouts

Post by SEMPER_FIshing »

I will never be without a kicker. Especially how many of us fish way before and after the crowds leave the lake for the year. It may be a slow trip back to the launch but it's a trip.
Ahhspray
Species: Whatever the lake will provide

Post by Ahhspray »

SEMPER_FIshing wrote:I will never be without a kicker. Especially how many of us fish way before and after the crowds leave the lake for the year. It may be a slow trip back to the launch but it's a trip.
x2 be prepared. ...theres a lot of water out there.
Totally rebuilt - 1986 22' Starcraft 220V CC T-top w/ 1986 Evinrude 140hp and 1978 Merc 7.5hp kicker
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote: Running a lower pitch prop by 2 degrees will shave a couple tenths at idle. A
Be careful playing around with prop pitch. Make sure you are in the motor specification for RPM at WOT with the prop you choose or you can damage your engine when making runs.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I am in the upper spec running WOT running 2 pitch lower.

I have been without a kicker for 10 years and have never needed a tow or have experienced any motor breakdown. With the Motorola Mother board there is lots of safe guards to limp you at a safe mode if overheating or other issues occur. Never had that happen either. Sold my Honda kicker 5 years ago as it was just gathering dust in the corner of the garage. No worries on the water running one engine out on Lake Ontario or here after 1,500 hours and 10 years. I don't succumb to the fear you have to have two motors on your boat to feel safe on the water.

Boattest.com on the Mercury 4 stroke 150 hp just released:

http://www.boats.com/reviews/mercury-15 ... SAHzlKZMch
Bigred71
Species: Cold Water

Post by Bigred71 »

I have thought about adding a kicker to troll with but sort of a logistical challenge on my boat as the transom has only a small swim platform, would need remote steering capability, and remote controls added. I troll with two trolling bags off mid-cleats, and the 5.7 inboard somewhere between 900-1000 RPM depending on wind / current, and desired speed. Worked for the prior owner on Lake ontario for over 3,000 hours of running, and so far so good for me for about 400 hours thus far.

Motor still running like its new, and fortunately parts are easy to get everywhere, and cheap :)
4sixty
Species: Sal/trout

Post by 4sixty »

To respond to dropping pitch by 2 if you drop.hohr pitch you will increase your rpm.s.
I be afraid of over review g myself I have a 115boptimax and trolls slow enoug