Surface fishing this Spring

Share info on fishing Champlain.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Surface fishing this Spring

Post by tmcaul »

Can any of you experienced anglers help us? My son bought a 17.5" aluminum rig last August and it came with two downriggers. From 1986-1990 I fished every Spring using planer boards, not the inline type but the larger boards tethered to a mast. At that time I caught mostly lakers using the planer boards. But now I see that many of you are using dipsy divers to troll. Some use lead core line. So my question is how my son should equip his boat. I think if I had to target one species it would be salmon.

I know he can run two lines off his downriggers in the wash or behind the wash. But what approach should be used for more lines if his parents or friends join him?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom McA
Charlotte
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Cas
Species: the kind that swim

Re: Surface fishing this Spring

Post by Cas »

Tradional planer boards still work great. I haven't used the inline boards but plan to this year. Dipsies and slide divers in particular have been a great addition. You should come to the seminar in March, there will be some demo stuff there, and perhaps participate in the draw your partner derby in April to fish on someone elses boat to see how it all works.
Last edited by Cas on Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
________
Mike
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

2 in-line mini boards, one working each side of the boat, 2 lines run shallow back on the downriggers and a single color of leadcore run long down the chute will give you 5 lines, which should be more than enough on a 17.5 foot boat in spring. Small stick baits are prevalent in the spring. As the waters warm up, mini dipsies and slide divers, as well as additional colors of lead, become more important. Stick baits fade away and vertical flashers and spoons become more popular as trolling speeds can increase. Cas is right, there will be plenty of free advice at the Seminar and Draw Your Partner is a great event!
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

I have a 14' boat (1969 Starcraft with 1967 20hp Mercury). In the spring my son and I will run 2 in-line boards and 2 long-lines. I'll add a split-shot 4' or so front of my lures if I need to get down a couple more feet. Also, if there is a lot of junk on the surface, we will use the downriggers for our long lines, but only put them down a few feet. This helps keep the lines clean. We usually run a combo of small stickbaits and spoons in the spring, moving to all spoons later on.

As the water warms, we switch to downriggers and dipsy's. As the fish move even deeper with the warming water, we will switch to stacking on the riggers to get down to them (mainly because I'm still trying to figure out dipsy's!). We typically stick to the Inland Sea, since the broad lake is a bit much for our little rig. We do try to hit Converse and/or Town Farm Bay in the spring, though, since we can fish there when the 'Sea is still frozen. Might even head down there next weekend, since it looks like the icefishing is going to be over for this year.

Good luck!
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

This might help from last saturday's seminar:

fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I don't like the lead core down the chute because if you hook a nice salmon on the riggers it will get to your leadcore and wrap it
self up in it before you can say crap!
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Thanks for all responses.

Where is March seminar?
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
TUnamas