Three rods

Share info on fishing Champlain.
bagman
Species: trout

Three rods

Post by bagman »

Since I brought this topic up to commissioner Louis Porter at the forum I feel compelled to follow through on it. The commissioner said he reads this forum and will get back to us. I would like to see Vermont follow through on the three rod rule on Champlain and I'm sure many on this forum would also. I am not computer savvy enough to create an online petition but would be the first to sign one if someone could start it. So maybe some forum member could do this. Lets hear your thoughts!
Also the commissioner was also asked why the department continues to stock up to 20,000 steelhead in the Winooski river when it is closed (walleye spawning) during the prime time they would be in the river. Couldn't these fish be more usefull in other streams open to fishing during this period. The commissioner said he would get back to us on this as well so I hope he reads this and responds
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Three rods

Post by fishingmachine »

it is still not legal to run three rods on LC on the NY side,therefore I see no reason to change Vt. rules.Maybe those steelies are stocked so they live in the lake?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

When i was checked by NY. Wardens last year, they told me that Champlain will be 2 lines as long as Vermont is. So basically it is up to Vermont whether or not we will ever see 3 lines again anywhere on Champlain.
Personally I don't see the need for 6 or more lines per boat, as I think that I have been doing better with less lines , maybe not more fish but bigger fish. I fish solo a lot and don't see my catch rate increase that much when i have guests on board and 5 or 6 lines deployed. Sometimes the less junk in the water the better.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

As someone new to trolling, just trying to get my bearings and find my niche in the scheme of things, I would be in favor of 3 lines per person. On small boats it may be a hassle, but with a couple of buddies I have been able to run up to 8 lines with no issues and would welcome the chance to send a more varied presentation down.