Lake Champlain vacation

Share info on fishing Champlain.
tsawyer85
Species: bass

Lake Champlain vacation

Post by tsawyer85 »

Hi everyone, I'm from NH and we have NO Bowfin or Gar in this state! We have limited walleye and pike as well. I'm hoping to visit Champlain for a weekend at the end of June. Any recommendations on places to try and fish? I have a 10 foot boat. I was looking at Grand Isle state park and Button Bay state park. Also, what is a freshwater drum? I heard they're in the lake too. I'd like to get pike, muskie, or walleye, but Gar and Bowfin are my prime targets. I really want to catch something other than the trout and bass I have here at home.

Thank you!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Re: Lake Champlain vacation

Post by keithm87 »

10ft boat is a bit small for champ, you will want to stick to the sheltered areas and even still will need to choose your times. As for the species all the listed species tend to like similar habitat. Shallow bays that have weed beds. Pike and Bowfin will be the easy ones to target. I would honestly say the best bet would be otter creek bellow the dam. It is the only place I can think of that would have all those species, and be friendly to a little boat. Check FW Master angler site, itll give a good idea of when people catch fish in certain spots.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

i will agree with Keithm87 a small boat in the waters around Grand Isle will work only on a com day. The lake around there gets rough fast i know very will. we got caught this past year out in front of the Grand Isle state park in our much bigger boat in 4 to 6 Footers. The Otter creek is a very good spot with a big verity of fish. Other good spots are on the Southern end of the lake like benson the lake is smaller and safer for your boat. The gar should be on the surface on warm sunny days in the narrows south of Benson at that time of year. Bowfin catfish gar pike bass panfish carp and drum also called a Sheep's Head are all there. about the only fish that don't inhabit the southern waters are Lake Trout and the Salmon. Hope this helps
tsawyer85

Post by tsawyer85 »

That's a big help. Thanks guys! I used to have a 16ft Bayliner, but once my daughter was born my wife talked me into ditching it and getting a pop-up camper. I sure miss that deep v hull and I miss the 90 HP even more. I have lake trout and salmon on a few lakes near me. It's the bowfin and gar that really interest me. Also, the drum is a fish I just learned about when I was looking into boat access. Most sites I see brag about the bass, pike, and trout. Are drum, bowfin, and gar not a popular sport fish or just not as well known?
tsawyer85

Post by tsawyer85 »

I'm looking at Button Bay State Park. It looks like it's somewhat close to the creek and a wide section of river on the map. I also see a basin harbor road and a dead creek. http://middleburymountaineer.com/water/otter-creek

Is that the area you're talking about? I'm thinking that the state park looks nice and a it's a quick ride to the creek, if there's a launch in the area. I'd be able to stay at the park, fish if it's quiet, zip over the the creak when it's a little too mean for my crawdad.

Thanks for your help... if you're ever in NH and need a place to catch some fish I'd be willing to share my secrets... maybe.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Button Bay has a launch into the lake, if you stay shallow you could probably catch some of those species. Otter creek has a launch off Ft Cassin rd that you could use as a starting point and work up river, or there is a launch off mechanic st in vergennes just bellow the dam. I am not sure if people really target gar or bowfin. I have never caught a gar, but it is on my bucket list. I will likely spend some time on the creek this summer chasing them and muskie.
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Gar and bowfin are a blast to catch...... I just prefer to use my boat for Cold water when I can go fishing, but if it rough out and I have my kid we go rough fishing. If you are looking for really good advice go to roughfish.com
A 10lb bowfin is 99% hate 1% forgiveness if you hook one.
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

Lewis Creek is another small boat launch as is the launch on the way to Kingsland bay near Little Otter Creek, both offer access to sheltered weedy coves.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

down at the red gate you can launch a little boat and access otter creek and fields bay. this is in vergennes.
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

These guys are right on with what they're telling you.
tsawyer85

Post by tsawyer85 »

Thanks everyone! I hope I can find these fish and maybe some walleye and pike! I love trying new places.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

tsawyer85 wrote:Thanks everyone! I hope I can find these fish and maybe some walleye and pike! I love trying new places.
i would defintley think of the red gate for that kind of action then. otter creek holds good numbers of eyes and pike along with bowfins and gars and you have 2 options fields bay and otter creek right at that spot