Planer Boards

Share info on fishing Champlain.
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Re: Planer Boards

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Same here, I don't use the mast for at least 5 years. For my part I use the Church Tackle.

I will put my Cannon mast on sale this spring.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

After this discussion here I am planning on spending 15 minutes at the first seminar with a presentation for a show and tell and answer questions on both OR12 and OR34 Offshore boards including the Tattle Flags on the OR12's.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great idea Ron. I am sure a lot of people would appreciate getting advices and info on mini planer boards.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Thanks Gerry. Lot of test time on the water this season with 68 trips logged for 2016 that started (mini OR34) on March 19th up until full retirement July 1st to December 20th with the (Walleye size OR12). Willing to share some of that success at the seminar with the Offshore Inlines. They compliment the riggers and Lite Bites. Awesome products for the entire season!

2017 New Years resolution: 100 trips and of that 95% weekdays. :)

Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Those posts help my decision a lot. I will stick with my offshore tackle in-line boards. You guys just saved me about $600!! I am sure I can find some other fishing gear I need to spend the money on. Looking forward to the seminar!
digitroll (ron)

Happy New Year!

Glad some of us here could help with your decision Greenhorn. There is a lot of delivery systems out there and they all catch fish. After all the trial and error with boards and 35 years trying I really like the advantages of the Offshore boards after dedicating a full season testing them.

Here is a link to the Offshore annual magazine on their website in PDF form below and it takes about 60 seconds to download the PDF file. There is a lot of different articles about using Offshore Inlines and products. Last year (2016) I contributed an article about Frostbite fishing and this year in the 2017 edition just released; I contributed an article about: Economics 101, Four or Two Downriggers? It can be found on the last page scrolling down. I will have some of these hardcopy newspaper editions at the seminar for distribution at the Fish Hawk table if the pdf file is takes too much time to download. Hope to see you there!

http://www.offshoretackle.com/articles.html
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Thanks Ron. I have yet to try my mast and double boards, but will in the Spring. Minor investment because the mast came with the boat and I got a great deal on the boards. Hope to attend the seminars and see your presentation. The more knowledge, the better. Happy New Year.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Thanks for the link Ron. I read your 2017 article on down riggers because I was debating the same thing- stick with 2 down riggers or expand to four. I found your article to be well written and informative. I have another question for you based on the article. On Lake Champlain, can I use two down riggers with one pole on each rigger and add a slider to each line. Assuming there are two of us on the boat, I think I could use two additional poles with in-line planer boards. This set up gives me six lures on only 4 poles. I would be interested in your opinion on this technique as I just learned about sliders at the end of last summer.
digitroll (ron)

Thank you, I am glad you liked the article! I like the option of different delivery systems running at the same time to cover the vertical and horizontal plane year round. When the fish get deeper as the thermocline sets up I will use segmented dedicated lead rods on the inline boards. This is what makes fishing fun using different tactics to catch fish on any given day. It's never the same.

Since inlines can be run outside your Lite Bite's and Riggers this opens up a lot of possibilities for 2 and 3 anglers in the boat. If your running just 2 riggers you can use a free slider or a fixed slider on each giving you that 4 rigger feel.

It's all about diversification. :) Best of luck!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

As a new person to trolling just starting to build up my gear I am having trouble with my next move. This season I bought 2 new to me riggers (180 for the pair of cannon mini mag electrics, plus 15 for a 60 inch stainless rod to replace the 18 inch boom with 30's) I have now 4 riggers with the space in theory to run them all. I also built planers for both sides, but do not have a proper mast for them, and then I bought slide divers. I would like to get into using leadcore but am not sure how to set these reels up. I would like to get set ups to use with planers both inline and mast. Is there a way to use one reel and have the line set up in a way as to allow for varied depth? Or do I need a different reel for 2 colors, 5 colors, 10 colors? Would it be possible to run one reel with say a 50 ft leader, then 2 colors then say 30yds of mono, then 3 more colors then say 30 more yds mono then the other 5 colors and then backing? Instead of needing 12 reels to run 4 of one set up I could run just 4 reels and adjust the depth and still have ability to get up to 90ft off side of boat.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I fish with 2, 3,5 and 8 color lead rods, but you can put line in between lengths of lead to get more use out of a high capacity reel and get by with less rods. I start with 100 yards of power pro 30 lb, then add lead with a 50ft fluorocarbon 12lb test to the swivel with the final leader.. If you go 8 to 10 colors to need a higher capacity real to take it all...

Good luck, sometimes lead core with what they want.
Matt B
digitroll (ron)

When I consulted with Mark Romanack here was his suggestions to base line my set ups with 1,3,5,7,10 color rods in September:

If you use Suffix Tuff line by Micro lead you can put it on smaller reels without having to use bulky oversized reels with other brands of lead. He uses 20 lb. (100 yards) of Maxima or one could use Trilene Big Game line for backing as he feels it won't slip thru releases like the slippery braided lines. Performance is much better he mentioned with the mono 20 lb. backing inserted into the inline boards two snap system.

For the leader end of the lead he uses only 20-25 feet of Fluro 15 lb. He doesn't run a leader. Although one could and run 8 feet of #12 Fluoro at the end of the main 15 lb. line.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote:When I consulted with Mark Romanack here was his suggestions to base line my set ups with 1,3,5,7,10 color rods in September:

If you use Suffix Tuff line by Micro lead you can put it on smaller reels without having to use bulky oversized reels with other brands of lead. He uses 20 lb. (100 yards) of Maxima or one could use Trilene Big Game line for backing as he feels it won't slip thru releases like the slippery braided lines. Performance is much better he mentioned with the mono 20 lb. backing inserted into the inline boards two snap system.

For the leader end of the lead he uses only 20-25 feet of Fluro 15 lb. He doesn't run a leader. Although one could and run 8 feet of #12 Fluoro at the end of the main 15 lb. line.
I went to all coppers in may last year. I set up a 100 & 200. 20 pound walleye copper and it was a salmon slayer. Did very well with 300 30 pound and 400 later in the season
digitroll (ron)

The coppers will work great off the standard inline Offshore board up to 300 feet and if greater than 300 feet the Mag board will handle between 300-600 feet of copper. This Mag board just came out 2 years ago.

If someone has braid for backing or the reel is spooled with braid a simple solution of using a rubber band with a half hitch around the braid and the loop of the rubber band snapped into the release on the side of the Offshore boards. This will prevent slipping thru the release of the slippery braid line and allow fishing with braid.
digitroll (ron)

Had a wonderful opportunity to tell the Lake Champlain Landlock story with Offshore products a week ago on the Offshore Tackle Podcast a monthly show hosted by Mike Avery of the the Outdoor Magazine Network. Click on play on the grey box at the bottom to listen. No need to download. It was a great opportunity for a larger audience outside of our state to promote our salmon fishery here on Champlain and how special that has become and unique.

http://offshoretacklepodcast.com/podcas ... -march.mp3