South Hero Launch Update - inland Sea

Share info on fishing Champlain.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

South Hero Launch Update - inland Sea

Post by vtfishin »

I had written Craig on the F&W board a little while back asking and he said he would look into it. I got this from him yesterday. Great follow up!

Sounds like it will be a beautiful launch area when it opens. Takes time to do it right for sure.

-Matt

VERMONT FISH & WILDLIFE
Press Release

For Immediate Release: April 30, 2015
Media Contact: Mike Wichrowski, 802-917-1347

John Guilmette Access Area improvements underway

SOUTH HERO, Vt. - The Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department is reminding anglers and recreational boaters that the John Guilmette Access Area on Lake Champlain in South Hero remains under construction and that the access area is not yet open for public use. Vermont Fish & Wildlife recently acquired the access area as part of its ongoing program to provide public access to public waters.

“The reconstruction of the John Guilmette Access Area will improve boat launching, offer more organized access and parking, and provide a public facility that meets environmental and ADA standards so that all recreationalists will be able to enjoy this area of Lake Champlain,” said Mike Wichrowski, facility and lands administrator with Vermont Fish & Wildlife.

“While we expect the construction phase to be complete in late-May, the access likely won’t be open until mid-summer,” said Wichrowski. “In order to protect water quality we need the storm water infrastructure installed at the site to work properly. In particular, we need to allow for a good grass turf to establish in the parking area. If used too soon, the turf could become damaged, creating nutrient and sediment runoff and resulting in future closures to repair the area.”

When finished, the improved access area will feature new ramp and dock structures, and will include a number of green infrastructure components including a pervious grass parking lot, grass-lined drainage swales and rock drains.

Additionally, new landscaping will occur. Trees will be replanted and “no-mow” sections will be established allowing the entire project to meet the state’s new shoreline protection standards.

“The ultimate goal of the project is to make the access area safer and more user-friendly, while protecting water quality,” said Wichrowski. “Taking into consideration the amount of use the access area sees each year, the needs of anglers and boaters, and the protection of the lakeshore and abutting wetlands, it was critical for us to redevelop this area for sustainable future use.”

Vermont Fish & Wildlife will announce when the access area is ready to open for anglers and boaters to enjoy.

“We’d like to thank anglers and boaters for funding the Fish and Wildlife Department’s access area program, and for their continued patience during the reconstruction process,” said Wichrowski. “We would also like to recognize the various neighbors, local businesses, town officials and partnering agencies for their collaboration on the project, one which will benefit the access area’s many users for years to come.”

To view a complete list of all Vermont fishing access areas, including maps and additional information, visit http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Fish_Accessareas.cfm.

To learn more about fishing in Vermont or to purchase a Vermont fishing license, visit www.vtfishandwildlife.com.
vtfishin

Re: South Hero Launch Update - inland Sea

Post by vtfishin »

Saw someone commenting on the launch status over in the fishing reports... Thought I'd bump this post with the press release.
danruss
Species: Pike, Salmon, Bass

Post by danruss »

Thanks for the info!
SUNFISH
Species: perch

Post by SUNFISH »

:shock: In case you didn't see the S. Hero ramp construction in progress last October. This is what it looked like.
They created a coffer dam so that could excavate a major hole for us to launch at low water later this year!
Dick

Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

that's pretty cool!
woolywag
Species: salmon

Post by woolywag »

I had to work in the islands today , the launch and parking look "done" but it is still blocked off , WTH is going on ? it should have been open for this weekend , I just hope some one out on feather bed lane did not raise a Fuss over it
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I heard they are waiting for the grass to take and get mowed a bit before opening the launch. The worry is that if the vehicles go on it before it's matured, it'll be destroyed and become the mess it was. The launch is staying closed until the field is ready. It'll still be a maze of moored boats to get through. Hoping that the State can clear a path out of the cove. It's a mess when it's busy. Supposed to be open by mid summer.
vtfishin

Post by vtfishin »

woolywag wrote:I had to work in the islands today , the launch and parking look "done" but it is still blocked off , WTH is going on ? it should have been open for this weekend , I just hope some one out on feather bed lane did not raise a Fuss over it
Per the press release above:

“While we expect the construction phase to be complete in late-May, the access likely won’t be open until mid-summer,” said Wichrowski. “In order to protect water quality we need the storm water infrastructure installed at the site to work properly. In particular, we need to allow for a good grass turf to establish in the parking area. If used too soon, the turf could become damaged, creating nutrient and sediment runoff and resulting in future closures to repair the area.”
danruss
Species: Pike, Salmon, Bass

Post by danruss »

Sure will be interesting if this launch isn't open by the LCI Father's Day derby. Especially considering Apple Tree is an official weigh in station.
SmellsLikeFishNH
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by SmellsLikeFishNH »

Apple Island is always a weigh station, and its never been an issue before without the ramp....it will be nice to have it open though.
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Is the private Apple Island ramp open? I want to fish out of there later this week, if possible. Thanks, Fred
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

fishmaster176 wrote:Is the private Apple Island ramp open? I want to fish out of there later this week, if possible. Thanks, Fred
I saw boats launching there the other day. Probably have to park across the road in the lot next to the campground entrance.
fishmaster176

Post by fishmaster176 »

Thanks C Hawk. We're camping at Grand Isle State Park and the launch can be very tough with any wind. Need alternatives.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Have a nice vacation Fred. Anybody ever use the ramp at the marina by the drawbridge? Puts you on the Broad Lake quickly or the Sea.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

I use the launch at the Ladd's Landing Marina all the time, as I keep my sailboat there. It's shallow and a steep ramp, with little parking for trailers. There is a parking fee for using the ramp, but there is a dock. Sure wish we had better access places around here. The "launch" on the north side of the bridge is also usable when the conditions are right, but, again, parking issues, shallow, and no dock.