Not exactly Champlain but close

Share info on fishing Champlain.
StinkyMatt
Species: Fin fish

Not exactly Champlain but close

Post by StinkyMatt »

Hi guys,

So I watch this Winooski river out the back window of my house and I have NO CLUE about it. (New to area)

What swims in there? When?

I'm sure that with a lot of work, time and many connections I will eventually learn. Just trying to shorten the learning curve a little.

Any info on the river, (not your secret hole). When to fish for what.

Thanks in advance

Matt
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Re: Not exactly Champlain but close

Post by Registered Kayak »

I tried kayaking a few times when its roaring (like now and earlier) I spent more time dodging trees and debris than anything else. Depending on what stretch of the river you're on, I primarily catch smallies in the summer when its too rough on Champlain. And ill go after the fallfish in the fall (no pun intended :lol: )
My wife drives me way up river and I just float all the way to the house couple miles downstream. I've had pretty successful times with night crawlers and small jigs. Not to mention some hard to come by tranquility.
Fishdawg
Species: Salmon

Post by Fishdawg »

The lower section of the Winooski, from the salmon hole (just below the dam in Winooski) out to the lake is considered Lake Champlain. You can catch all sorts of fish in this section of the river. Sturgeon, sheepshead, carp and bass as well as lake trout, salmon, browns and walleye pike. The walleye season is rapidly approaching and that section of the river can be pretty good when the conditions are right. You'll be seeing lots of boats in the river when the season begins! Good luck!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Registered Kayak wrote:I tried kayaking a few times when its roaring (like now and earlier) I spent more time dodging trees and debris than anything else. Depending on what stretch of the river you're on, I primarily catch smallies in the summer when its too rough on Champlain. And ill go after the fallfish in the fall (no pun intended :lol: )
My wife drives me way up river and I just float all the way to the house couple miles downstream. I've had pretty successful times with night crawlers and small jigs. Not to mention some hard to come by tranquility.
NICE!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry