NY 3 line rule

Share info on fishing Champlain.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

NY 3 line rule

Post by C-Hawk »

I just got checked by NYDEC and the verdict is 2 lines on Champlain! Period! Vermont does not reciprocate, so no more 3 lines.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: NY 3 line rule

Post by Reelax »

Hmmmmm what did they say?
Matt B
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

They said two limes only on Champlain. I told them that I was going to post it here and glad that I got it straight from the horse's mouth. I would not fish with 3 lines on Champlain. We need to get Vermont to change their law
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the info... This will probably finally put this issue to bed for good.
Matt B
SUNFISH
Species: perch

Post by SUNFISH »

Champlain anglers still have it good! Here in NH I can only run one lure per rod while on
Champlain I can cheat and run two lures per rod at different depths!! For years I've fished the IS by myself while dragging just two lures??
Dick
charlietuna
Species: What ever will bite

Post by charlietuna »

Soooo... Will the forum gurus post a sticky as far as this is a NO NO? I have looked back over many posts on the subject, and have found conflicting reports, as to if it is legal, or not legal to run 3 rods, on champlain on the NY side. I know NY does recipicate the license, but there has been confusion as to the rod rule????
As I looked back, I saw many many posts from guys from Vermont, who touted that they use 3 rods on the NY side and have reported no issues.
It seems the red tape could be cut through ? And it may have been, with the latest post about NYDEC saying NO!
I think a bulliten reminding folks would be helpful, if not at least to protect the forum from a law suit? Just a thought!
I hope we can finally put this to bed, no matter what the verdict is!
Thank you for reading/listening!

CT
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

I just reviewed the latest changes to NY Freshwater Fishing rules, and I believe the confusion is over where you can fish in Champlain with an "out of state" license versus the rules that apply in each states section of the Lake.- see excerpt from the Reciprocal Agreement -- "Complying with Appropriate State Fishing Regulations
Anglers are cautioned that while either license is valid to fish in the Vermont and New York portions of Lake Champlain, each state has its own restrictions pertaining to species restrictions, length limits and seasons, etc. Therefore, it is necessary to know which state your are fishing in and abide by the fishing restrictions of that state."
I believe that if you are legally fishing in New York waters , New York rules apply and you can use three lines. However, if you are fishing in Vermont waters you must abide by Vermont's two-line rules. Reciprocal agreements are intended to extend certain privileges, not restrict existing ones. Otherwise, a New York resident with a New York license and fishing in New York waters would have to follow Vermont rules !!!!
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

JTM203SOUTH wrote:I just reviewed the latest changes to NY Freshwater Fishing rules, and I believe the confusion is over where you can fish in Champlain with an "out of state" license versus the rules that apply in each states section of the Lake.- see excerpt from the Reciprocal Agreement -- "Complying with Appropriate State Fishing Regulations
Anglers are cautioned that while either license is valid to fish in the Vermont and New York portions of Lake Champlain, each state has its own restrictions pertaining to species restrictions, length limits and seasons, etc. Therefore, it is necessary to know which state your are fishing in and abide by the fishing restrictions of that state."
I believe that if you are legally fishing in New York waters , New York rules apply and you can use three lines. However, if you are fishing in Vermont waters you must abide by Vermont's two-line rules. Reciprocal agreements are intended to extend certain privileges, not restrict existing ones. Otherwise, a New York resident with a New York license and fishing in New York waters would have to follow Vermont rules !!!!
this is correct what your saying. this is in black and white.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Repeat; two NY game wardens stopped me yesterday and both of them said, 2 lines only when fishing Champlain. They said the rest of the state is 3 lines. It does not get much clearer for me.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

C-Hawk wrote:Repeat; two NY game wardens stopped me yesterday and both of them said, 2 lines only when fishing Champlain. They said the rest of the state is 3 lines. It does not get much clearer for me.
To me no matter what it says in the abstracts, and even if the wardens are not interpreting the law correctly, I don't want to be the guy wasting my valuable fishing time fighting a fish and game ticket. If the wardens are going to stop you from using 3 lines, then that is law enough for me. Until I see a post on here from an official from NYSDEC ,then I will not be using 3 lines.It is a good thing I only was using 2 yesterday. They made no mention of which license you carry, so NY residents beware.
Stonefly
Species: salmonidae

Post by Stonefly »

I had a similar encounter with a NY warden last year, but I was fishing 3 lines. He informed me that I was in violation, but understood the confusion. I was let off with a warning, but it was made clear that Lake Champlain is restricted to 2 lines/person even on the NY side of the lake.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I would rather take the word of the person that can write me a ticket, than to try to interpret a paragraph from a government document. It also saves the hassle of trying to fight a ticket. Being right can get very expensive, sometimes. Lawyers aren't cheap.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

C-Hawk wrote:
C-Hawk wrote:Repeat; two NY game wardens stopped me yesterday and both of them said, 2 lines only when fishing Champlain. They said the rest of the state is 3 lines. It does not get much clearer for me.
To me no matter what it says in the abstracts, and even if the wardens are not interpreting the law correctly, I don't want to be the guy wasting my valuable fishing time fighting a fish and game ticket. If the wardens are going to stop you from using 3 lines, then that is law enough for me. Until I see a post on here from an official from NYSDEC ,then I will not be using 3 lines.It is a good thing I only was using 2 yesterday. They made no mention of which license you carry, so NY residents beware.

Jeff,

Your such a good fisherman I believe your name is listed in the ny fishing syllabus as only being allowed one rod in ny waters :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I may have to give up on fishing NY waters as it is getting too expensive to bring my lawyer with me. What is it with these guys in Albany where they can't even put out a press release definitively stating whether 2or3 lines in Champlain is the law? Also folks beware as a wise fisherman has just reminded me that if you fish the upcoming LCI Derby it is 2 lines only regardless of the law or state. All this trouble is not surprising coming from a state that once used felony prisoners to process credit card information on its online site for hunting and fishing licenses. (anybody remember World com?)
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

The three line rule in NY is state wide, the problem was that it was not kept at 2 lines for champlain under special regs for champlain when 3 lines was legalized, therefore while they aren't ticketing people for 3 lines they are making it known 2 lines for champlain and that will be policy until it is public knowledge, after that its a ticket for more than 2 lines.

This info came to me in a conversation with aquatic fisheries biologist Tom Shanahan of the ray brook office which over sees regs for champlain. I did give Tom the info to this forum and hopefully we will get an update on this subject in the future from him or the dept.