Supplies

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Supplies

Post by Greenhorn »

I am not a lure maker, but I want to change some of there hooks on my lures. I have a tough time getting the treble hooks out of the salmon I catch without some damage. I am considering replacing the treble hooks with single hooks, but I have a couple of questions.

First, will changing to a single hook affect the action of the lures?

Second, I am having a hard time locating straight shank hooks with eyes large enough to move freely on the ring. Do any of you lure makers know where I could find some #6 or #4 hooks like the ones on the Needlefish lures?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
imagen
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Re: Supplies

Post by Targa V18 »

gerry'stackle.com has a good selection.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Search open eye siwash hooks.and you might find what your looking for.

I think most common is a size 1 hook for the 2-1/4 sized lures. Those hooks you are looking for are out there

Lots of info on the site regarding action and changing hooks. I will say that on michigan stinger scorpion & speedy shiners I run trebbles. Almost all others I run singles.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

I run size 4 open eye siwash, which are harder to find in shops. Size 2 is what most folks use. I prefer size 4 on the small spoons and get fewer eye-hooked fish (I release most of 'em). I get mine here: http://www.fishusa.com/product/Gamakats ... wash-Hooks
Gray Ghost
Species: salmon

Post by Gray Ghost »

Gus
Tight Lines
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I think a single hook is always better as far as less damage to fish and the hook up factor I think is actually better. If you stay within a an appropriate size hook for the size and weight of lure you should be fine. Siwash type hooks are what you are looking for, size 1 or 1/0 are the most common found on lures from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 " long lures. If you google the siwash hook many sites will appear by most of the major brands. Tamiron.com (Honey bee lures) web site has a lot of videos and info on how his lures are effected by changing the way you connect the lure to your line, same goes for the hook size and weight, that will give you some good things to consider.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

FYI If the needle fish is the smaller size it would most likely be a #2 or 4 size hook. Siwash hooks have a larger "ring" on the end so it will move freely on the split ring of the lure. They are usually a bit longer in the shank too. Mustad has a "salmon lure" hook too but they usually start at the larger 2/0 hook for larger size spoons.
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Thanks for all the replays. This site is a great resource. I will check out the recommended sites.

Good luck this weekend,

Jeff
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

So I checked out some of the siwash hooks. The open eye hooks have a small gap between the end of the bend on the eye and the shank. They also make a closed eye hook. It would seem like the closed eye hooks would be better unless it also produces a smaller eye for the split ring. Do you know if the closed eye hooks have a smaller eye than the open eye hooks?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Greenhorn wrote:So I checked out some of the siwash hooks. The open eye hooks have a small gap between the end of the bend on the eye and the shank. They also make a closed eye hook. It would seem like the closed eye hooks would be better unless it also produces a smaller eye for the split ring. Do you know if the closed eye hooks have a smaller eye than the open eye hooks?
The open eye hooks are made to be big enough to move freely after you clamp them closed to install them. They work great
Matt B
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Reelax wrote:The open eye hooks are made to be big enough to move freely after you clamp them closed to install them. They work great
Yup^^, they're a breeze to switch out with pliers.
Greenhorn

Post by Greenhorn »

Well I got some of the Siwash open eye hooks and they work great! It was easy to switch out all of my treble hooks. Now I need to get back on the water to see how the lures work and see if I miss less fish. Thanks to all for the help.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

also try CaptainHook discount warehouse