stinger (honey bee) original lures in package 1980,s

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
fishy1
Species: many species

stinger (honey bee) original lures in package 1980,s

Post by fishy1 »

last weekend our local bait shop fmb tackle gave me a surprise 4 original stinger (honey bees) still in tack and packaged. i was so excited to see why they were called stinger back then i called jim martino right from the bait shop. jim told me those were from the early 1980, and then a couple of years later michigan stinger came out and from then on i guess it was a nightmare for jim since he had the name stinger and the rights but decided to not fight the process and just call his patented lures honey bees. since he gave me 4 i went up to jimmers house (targa v 18) and gave him 2 since he painted 2 lures for me and did an outstanding job to say the least. jimmer was tickled pink and couldnt get over those original stinger lures. here is a pic of my 2.Image
screenshot program
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Re: stinger (honey bee) original lures in package 1980,s

Post by Hairbone »

I fish both of those colors! The green mottled one works great and has always been a great lure in June for me.
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

fishy1 wrote:last weekend our local bait shop fmb tackle gave me a surprise 4 original stinger (honey bees) still in tack and packaged. i was so excited to see why they were called stinger back then i called jim martino right from the bait shop. jim told me those were from the early 1980, and then a couple of years later michigan stinger came out and from then on i guess it was a nightmare for jim since he had the name stinger and the rights but decided to not fight the process and just call his patented lures honey bees. since he gave me 4 i went up to jimmers house (targa v 18) and gave him 2 since he painted 2 lures for me and did an outstanding job to say the least. jimmer was tickled pink and couldnt get over those original stinger lures. here is a pic of my 2.Image
screenshot program
Thanks again Matty for the lures. I really appreciate it. If my Dad was still around I bet he would be hounding me for them lol.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Hairbone wrote:I fish both of those colors! The green mottled one works great and has always been a great lure in June for me.
harry do you use the same size at the 2 shown.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

looks like a magnum and a large. I have that combo in small and MP6.

The magnum bee's work on the lakers in the summer when I have tried them. They are a magnet for all of those 15-18" lakers
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Hairbone wrote:looks like a magnum and a large. I have that combo in small and MP6.

The magnum bee's work on the lakers in the summer when I have tried them. They are a magnet for all of those 15-18" lakers
That particular Magnum, mottled green with a piece of fire red tape down the center has accounted for quite a few fish including the biggest browns we caught from Lake Ontario and quite a few really nice Kings.

I like that lure so much, Tamiron will re-introduce that spoon in 4 separate color patterns in the Magnum, hammered large #3 and hammered #1 in the next 60 days. They will be offered on line after they are offered to the new Beehive locations.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

will look forward to that jim since i wont be using the original stinger bees. dont know why but i just cant get myself to open the package.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

fishy1 wrote:will look forward to that jim since i wont be using the original stinger bees. dont know why but i just cant get myself to open the package.

I'll open em for ya :lol:
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

I can second that Jim about the number 3s being king catching spoons on the big O. i use these every spring out to the bar, they have never failed to catch kings. with the mottled green being the ice-cream they like the most. I remember Jim had to send more they where getting hammered so hard.

fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fmb tackle told me he is selling these original honey bees like hot cakes. they been getting some nice browns on them.
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

lazycs wrote:I can second that Jim about the number 3s being king catching spoons on the big O. i use these every spring out to the bar, they have never failed to catch kings. with the mottled green being the ice-cream they like the most. I remember Jim had to send more they where getting hammered so hard.

I would like to get my hands on the green with black dots. I have all the rest except for the blue/red tape one.