spoon/lure size

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

spoon/lure size

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

After talking with jim tamiron for some time, he has sparked my curiosity. he states every one tends to stick with the same general size lures. mp6, small, 2 3/8, 2 1/2 etc. on lake champlain while like lake ontario they run larger spoons for larger fish. it makes sense to me to use your spoon/lure size according to the hatch at different times of the year as the grow, alewives, smelt etc. bigger spoons like the medium and larger size like 4 inch for example just before, during and after the alewife die off seem to be right to target the larger fish or be more productive for big fish and not so many cutters? please chime in as this makes sense and havent heard much about it. Again i apologize this should be posted in lake champlain section.
Will nolan "swilly"
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: spoon/lure size

Post by fishy1 »

most of my krocodiles are 3 inch and up and the bite seems to be there with salmon for shore fishing. i think the silvers because of their smaller mouth is why champlain trollers seem to go smaller. dont know why but i was always told to use smaller lures for salmon. when i think back in the 80,s though i was using mooseloks and would buy the longest i could buy and they produced. would like to hear from others on this topic also since its an interesting topic.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

They all have a time and a place. The small speedy shiners, mp6 and small honey bee are great out of the starting gate in the spring and then there is a time in may where the small Michigan stingers are hot. I love the large sized Honey Bee and have a large collection of them. They produce well for me from June- end of the season. I came across an ebay find that had 75 assorted what I think pro eye spoons from jans netcraft in two sizes and I have three pictured. Fish tell me that my boat pulls them well. These are a few of my favorite spoons:

fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

i like all of them especially the ones with pink in them.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Will:

Small spoons often catch big fish and large spoons often catch small fish.

But the first migration to shore will be the adult smelt at 4 inches or more to spawn between mdi April and end of May. The next large schools will be young of the year smelt about 6 weeks after spawning 1-2". The next will be the mature alewives at 4" plus to begin their spawning from early May to late June. If matching the "hatch is important" then size will matter! But that is still true about "Small spoons often catch big fish and large spoons often catch small fish". /Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
will nolan (swilly)
Species: whatever bites!

Post by will nolan (swilly) »

Thanks jim! It's something to think about that's for sure.
Will nolan "swilly"