Salmon flies

Lure modification. From taping and painting to manufacturing your own fishing lures.
duckhunter
Species: All

Salmon flies

Post by duckhunter »

I am fairly new to salmon fishing on Champlain and would like to see some pictures of flies that you use to troll with. Also some idea what methods you use to fish for salmon! do you troll behind a dodger, right behind the boat on the surface. Give me some ideas!!!!
i am a resonably accomplished fly tier and want to make up some patterns .

Thanks,
loyd
dragnballs
Species: if it swims, Iwill fish for it

Re: Salmon flies

Post by dragnballs »

Loyd, go back through this section and look for posts by Suprise,Voyager and Black Ghost to see the patterns that work here.
As far as how to run them, I fish them behind a small dodger about a foot back and run them on riggers, slide divers and lead core. I haven't found one method that works better than the rest it all depends how deep the fish are.
As to the maker I use small Lure Jensen, hot spot e- chips and Rocky Mountain tackle shoe horn style dodgers and match the color to the fly
Kevin
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Re: Salmon flies

Post by Wdrnr »

I am assuming a dodger fly set up We use buck tail hair a lot in orange and black,green and black minimal as well al,red and white ... In the summer we use what we called a chicken feather in brown with a little white. We tend to the on the thin side as they seem to,like the smaller offering. Brass and silver on the dodger