Quick Trip to fish some flats

Check and share here for the latest Salt Water fishing reports.
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Quick Trip to fish some flats

Post by vtfishin »

We headed down to Florida to get after some sea trout and red fish. We fished around Captiva island. Had a blast. Salt flat fishing can ruin a Northerner like me.

We got into the Reds pretty good on Saturday the 31st and managed a boatload of sea trout and sheepshead (not of the northern kind). The sea trout were a blast to fight but nothing like the red fish:

Amazing day of fishing. Good friends and good fishing.

On Sunday we were back after em. A south wind blew in but we didn't get after as many as Saturday but still caught several Reds and sea trout. Then we headed in to grill fresh oysters and eat them with fresh stone crabs while watching the Superbowl Champion New England Patriots.

Great trip can't wait to go back.

Matt
Last edited by vtfishin on Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Re: Quick Trip to fish some flats

Post by raz »

Too Awesome. I should go down. My sister and husband spend the winters in Key West. Why am I still here? Freezing.
Nice going Matt. Looks soooo fun!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

That is an awesome trip Matt.
Red fish are such a thrill to catch... and sheepshead are real fun too, and they task sweet potatoes.
Nothing beats salt water fishing.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice pics and sounds like a great Time. You sure didn't miss much here :(
cnmt237
Species: salmon,lakers.bass.pike,saltws

Post by cnmt237 »

I returned from first time trip to Sanibel/Captiva Islands two weeks ago. My plan was kayak fishing the JC Darling Wildlife Refuge. First day, caught 3 snook just shy of the legal 27"-33" slot, a snapper, a flounder and a couple of catfish/bullhead type fish. Met a fellow from Rochester NY who invited me out the next day, ended up with a legal redfish and later a five ft bull shark. Making plans to fish next winter.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

cnmt237 wrote:I returned from first time trip to Sanibel/Captiva Islands two weeks ago. My plan was kayak fishing the JC Darling Wildlife Refuge. First day, caught 3 snook just shy of the legal 27"-33" slot, a snapper, a flounder and a couple of catfish/bullhead type fish. Met a fellow from Rochester NY who invited me out the next day, ended up with a legal redfish and later a five ft bull shark. Making plans to fish next winter.
Salt Water fishing is always fun. Never know what you might catch. Looks like you had some great time on the water and boated different specimens.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)