MORE ADVENTURES OF THE "TORI" KIND.......

Share Hunting info.
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)
Species: ANY FISH THAT WANTS TO PLAY!!

MORE ADVENTURES OF THE "TORI" KIND.......

Post by FISHCRAZY(LALLY) »

So as many of you know my little girl moved up the ladder of "Huntress" status and killed her first couple of deer last season with her trusty rifle. We traveled to SC due to the age restrictions here in NY. Well, all year since that trip she has been asking to go on another trip and has set her sights on harvesting an antlered deer. I believe school is very important and searched around for something close to home where I could take her and not have her miss any class time. After a little research I decide to look into NJ early bow season. Sussex county is a short drive of about 3.5 hours and they allow the use of crossbows during bow season.... PERFECT!!! Tori can't pull enough weight on a compound yet, but really has a love affair with weapons that shoot arrows. She practiced this summer and also completed her hunter safety course (Which she got 100 on!!) and we were ready to try our luck.

Lucky for me I have a couple friends who just happen to have access on a few small tracts of land in Sussex county. I made a pre-season scouting trip and settled on a small corn field with a wild apple tree along it's edge that the farmers planted around. I thought this would make a perfect scenario for setting up a ground blind ;) The shot was going to be close, about 13Yds. First morning and we are positioned waiting for ANY deer to stroll by :D

There was a marked improvement of Tori's hunting skills this season. She was very alert and quiet and pretty motionless all in all for an 11 YO. I was a bit impressed. The real test was going to be when the deer showed up. Last season she came un-glued and shook violently making good shot placement a challenge and she actually missed deer with a rifle at 40yds!!! I never want her to loose that excitement, but I have been working on her controlling it until after the shot!!!

It was now approaching 9 AM and no sightings of any deer. I was beginning to second guess my set up with such limited viewing for such a young child, because I know seeing animals is what keeps them interested. Then I felt the excited tap on my shoulder..... DAD! There's a BEAR!!!! Yup..... sure was and a pretty big one and just 13 yards away!!!!

I snapped this photo with my phone :shock:

I also shot a small video with my phone and if you can view it the look on Tori's face is PRICELESS!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We left the blind shortly after the bear decided to move on.

That afternoon we were back in the blind.....waiting..... and waiting......and waiting. Three hours later I was beginning to once again question my choice of hunting location. It was now getting to be PRIME time and the woods were becoming VERY silent. Then I saw it. A deer was approaching from the left and thru the corn. It was a BUCK!!! I told Tori there was a buck coming and she went into predator mode.... SO Damn cute!! She was silent and motionless and had the crossbow up to her shoulder and watched over her scope as she waited for a perfect shot. He took for EVER to come in!!! She was patient...... I was eager!!! Finally after what seemed like forever she told me she had a good shot. I said "UM..... well shoot him already!!" :roll: The shot was Absolutely perfect and we heard the buck pile up just 40 yards from the blind!!! She jumped up from her stool and started to dance and shake all over and was just the happiest little kid ever!!!

What a great feeling. I have been very fortunate in the outdoor sports. I have hunted all over and have shot many,many trophy class animals. This young buck will forever be one of my favorite hunts :D I hope we get the chance to share many more adventures with everyone. I believe Tori is off to a very positive start and she challenges me to be a good teacher. She now is focused on becoming more proficient with her compound. Jeez this girl keeps me busy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For now we are going to stick with the crossbow. Next year will be a different story. Good luck to everyone this hunting season. May all your shots be true!!!!
" IN MY EYES ALL FISH ARE CREATED EQUALLY"
JK47
Species: All Species

Re: MORE ADVENTURES OF THE "TORI" KIND.......

Post by JK47 »

That's a very special story. It's really what life and all about.

She's very lucky to have you as her dad. So may kids never get to experience stuff like this.

Nicely done!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Priceless.. Nice velvet 1st buck.. Never shot one in velvet.
Matt B
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Thats awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most little girls need 2 things.. 1.. a pony... 2.. a bow!!

You from Cobleskill? Im from Saratoga. We cant go wrong with the piles and piles of deer down and over that way and beyond! :D
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
MarknFish (Mark)
Species: All

Post by MarknFish (Mark) »

What an amazing day for you and Tori. She is very lucky to have a dad like you to show her the amazing thiings hunting and fishing have to offer. Love the velvet hanging down. Congrats to both of you.
Matt
Species: Any

Post by Matt »

Amazing, good stuff and nice Buck.
northernnightmare
Species: the finned variety

Post by northernnightmare »

Congrats to the both of you! I have 4yo twin girls and they cant wait to go hunting with me. I may try and take them out this bow season and sit in a pop up for a bit.
OKRA II Not just a Veggie!!
vtperchman
Species: all

Post by vtperchman »

that is cool good job good luck with rest of the year hope she can get other one
Heijac
Species: All

Post by Heijac »

Just awesome Rick! Neither of my kids hunt, but my 12 yr old nephew is taking his hunter safety right now, and will be going out during our youth season. I cant wait to get out there with him!
blue lund
Species: salmon trout walleye

Post by blue lund »

Tell her congratulations. My daughter is 8 and has been shooting a bow for 3 years now. I think she will be ready on a couple more years to do a hunt with a compound. What age does jersey allow bow hunting at?
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)

blue lund wrote:Tell her congratulations. My daughter is 8 and has been shooting a bow for 3 years now. I think she will be ready on a couple more years to do a hunt with a compound. What age does jersey allow bow hunting at?

There is NO age restriction, but they must be accompanied by an adult until 14YO I think??? They must also complete the hunters safety course. It is legal for all ages to hunt with either crossbow or bow during the archery season. I believe the crossbow is the perfect segway for kids into bow hunting. A lot of the same principles apply. Close range, scent control, proper arrow placement, etc.etc.

During the early season an adult MUST shoot a doe before they can shoot a buck. For children that rule is waived. Once you shoot a deer you check it in and they give you another tag..... an endless number :D I shot a doe in the morning and checked it in and received another tag..... shot another deer that evening and received another tag.... shot another doe the next morning and received another tag!!! :shock: How FUN!!!!

Good luck to your daughter.Tori has been shooting a bow since she was 3YO. I believe Tori will be ready next season for the compound. She needs a few more kills with the crossbow first which we will be working on next weekend!!! 3-day holiday weekend..... SWEET!!!
FISHCRAZY(LALLY)

Heijac wrote:Just awesome Rick! Neither of my kids hunt, but my 12 yr old nephew is taking his hunter safety right now, and will be going out during our youth season. I cant wait to get out there with him!
Randy, what a thrill it is. It is also very challenging for a seasoned hunter to take a novice. So much we have learned and take for granted is all new to them. Biggest thing I struggle with is patience!! I see an animal I want I kill it right away before something goes wrong!! Tori is ALL..... la de da.... just a little closer..."Oh isn't he pretty" la de da..... when he moves his leg.... "just one more step" UHG!!! She drives me nuts!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I shot a turkey while hunting with her once because she was taking SOOOOO long I knew the gig was up and about to be over........ She didn't speak to me for a day!!!!! :oops:

Your gonna love it!! Good luck to the both of you!!! ;)
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Congrats Tori and a great hunt you're a lucky girl to have a dad that takes you on such great trips. good job Lally
vtfishin
Species: Salmon, Steel, eyes, bass...

Post by vtfishin »

That's cool!
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Awesome again you two...the father and daughter team. Team Lally.
Keep up the great fishing and hunting...keep the team going...keep us all posted here.
We love to read it.

And...we'd love to have Tori begin to tell her side of the stories!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry