Post by northernnightmare »

Hope these 2 decide to stick around!
OKRA II Not just a Veggie!!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Couple trail cam pics.

Post by Reelax »

Looks like on hell of a mature bachelor group you got started there.. both nice bucks... Looks like maybe 2.5 and 3.5 year olds?
Matt B
dreamcatcher
Species: Champlain Fishes

Post by dreamcatcher »

Looking good and nice pic's!
Reelax wrote:Looks like on hell of a mature bachelor group you got started there.. both nice bucks... Looks like maybe 2.5 and 3.5 year olds?
Thats about right Matt, I think a little older their glands on the inside of their back legs will get really dark makeing them around 4 to 5 years old or older. NorthernNM; Good hunting!!! :)
KEN K.
northernnightmare
Species: the finned variety

To be honest with you were thinking that they are both only 2.5yo. Last year I had a spike and 4 pt that hung out together and we never wacked any of them. Since we started doing foodplots 10 years ago we have really seeing a improvement to our yearling bucks. Our average 1.5yo's tend to dress out at 140lbs or better and we killed multiple 1.5yo 4pts that have had 15-16" spread racks. If we can get one on the ground Ill pull a tooth and age it.
sundown4570
Species: Salmon /Trout

Post by sundown4570 »

Great Pictures
I have some farmer food plots on my property, corn and alphafa.
I'd like to add something else
any suggestions

Steve..................aka...Sundown
Sundown
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Interesting to see bucks in your food plots. Our plots at our adirondack camp only show does from the start of the fall planting to about October 1st. We always figured because those old horse head does keep the bucks away while the fawms are hanging tight to them as they are always hanging out near the plots. Once October hits it is like a faucet turning on :D
northernnightmare

Behind them is a custom blend of Soybeans and Imperial chickory. To the left is a clover/chickory blend. We planted the Imperial wintergreens this year and they look AWESOME! cant wait to see how hard they get hammered in late Nov.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

It would be nice if they did. The question is.... Are they on your trail cam repeatedly... or on the trail cam once? Hope your neighbors didn't see them! ;)

Hey Sundown... Ive always been impressed with turnips. I have seen HUGE bucks come off a buddy's farm in NY who does food plots heavy on the turnip side...
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

WFW,

Here is some pics of bucks chowing down on turnips: http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a380/ ... a6e3c0.pbw

They grow well as long as you get them sprouted before the heavy rains wash them out.
northernnightmare

We have grown turnips for years now and the deer wont touch them! When i ran the hunting club in TN they loved them. I don't get it. They will eat all the greens down to nothing and leave the turnips. Maybe Washington County deer just dont have a taste for them. :D
Hairbone

Post by Hairbone »

northernnightmare wrote:We have grown turnips for years now and the deer wont touch them! When i ran the hunting club in TN they loved them. I don't get it. They will eat all the greens down to nothing and leave the turnips. Maybe Washington County deer just dont have a taste for them. :D
We found it to be a regional thing where our adirondack plots are hammerd starting in early october and our western ny friends don't get any action till snow settles in. We have been using "shot plot" mix, but my bro informed he added some special beet mix for this year. time wil tell
sundown4570
Species: Salmon /Trout

Post by sundown4570 »

Great Pictures Harry
Actually your plot isn't that far from my farm, so beets should work well
Beets grow well as we grow them in our garden
I'll be sure to give it a try............Thanks

Steve
Sundown
Shake-n-Bake
Species: coldwater