opening day bow

Share Hunting info.
spinner
Species: salmon

opening day bow

Post by spinner »

Went out this morning for opening day bow. My wife woke me up at 5:15 and I parked the truck at 6:15. At 7:30 I saw deer movement above me and it was to far to tell . At 8:30 I had 4 adult doe walk within 15 yards of me and I picked out the largest one and smacked her alittle bit high. the 4 took off and I could see my nockturnal nock stuck in her and i saw it come out of her about 50 yards away. I was pretty sure I heard a crash and about 15 minutes later I had deer movement again. A doe appeared and then 2 more. the 3 hung out in my view for 15 minutes which made me feel good about that crash I heard. The deer worked there way back down the hill towards were they came from and after 40 minutes I got down from the stand and walked 20 yards and the serious blood trail started. It was a very easy trail to follow there was good spray on both side of she tracks along with alot of trees that were painted by her. After less than 100 yards there she laid 119.5 lbs doe with a serious lung problem. Sorry no pics I have a dumb phone. I think that she was my 1st opening day bow kill ever . Time to get another tag.Good luck all
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Re: opening day bow

Post by Registered Kayak »

Very nice read. ;)
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Congrats Spinner on your bow kill. Nice read.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Congrats spinner. They sure are active. Watched 2 rack buck fight Last evening. Only 2nd mature buck fight I have ever seen in VT.
Matt B
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Congrats, Spinner! Saw a bunch of deer this weekend, but nothing in range. There is one HUGE doe on our property that I'd really like to get an arrow in. Saw her 3 times this weekend from 2 different stands, so hopefully it's just a matter of time.

Good luck everyone!
Pattywhacker
Species: Game Fish

Post by Pattywhacker »

I'll piggy back on my fathers post here - and I'll also help him out by posting up a picture.

I hunted opening weekend as well - Didn't see any deer Saturday (was at a wedding in NY for the evening hunt). Saturday I didnt have any action for the morning sit but hunting my 'go to' stand on Sunday evening. With about an hour left of daylight I could hear movement so I stood up to be ready as woods is still thick with cover. About 10 mins later a deer snapped a stick behind me, at about 10 yards I could make out 1/2 a body of a deer, then the full body came out from behind a few more trees. At first I thought it was a spike, but once his head turned I could see a legal brow - he hung up behind some cover and wondered off. About 10 mins later he reappeared, presented me with a 20 yard shot - took him a bit far back, but the angle put the arrow through both lungs and pegged his front shoulder. He ran off with the arrow still in him - after legal shooting light my brother made his way to me as we began looking for blood. NO BLOOD - NO HAIR....WTH? We circled and circled looking for any sign, we came up empty. After a bit more searching I looped around the area to backtrack where I heard him crash off to, minutes later my headlamp caught that familiar white belly laying on the ground. We took up his track to see what sort of blood trail he left - surprisingly there wasn't much sign and I'm not sure I would have found him if we kept looking near where the shot was taken. His entry hole was plugged which made the initial blood trail nonexistent. Will be checking him in later today to get a dressed weight as we finally got back to the house ay 9pm (1.5 hour drag out!).

Shot a few bucks in WI, but this is my first buck harvest with a bow in VT

Shoot straight to all of you - On doe patrol now.
Attachments
photo (6).jpg
photo (5).JPG
Brett "Pattywhacker" Patnaude
'If you can't hunt, fish; If you can't fish, hunt'
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Congrats, Brett! Can't let the ol' man show you up.
Wellsley (Frank)

Post by Wellsley (Frank) »

congrats guys.
WildFisherWoman
Species: The Toothiest N Meanest!

Post by WildFisherWoman »

Way to go guys! Nice harvests.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"