new archery regs

Share Hunting info.
sonny88
Species: salmon

new archery regs

Post by sonny88 »

I was wondering what everyone thought of the new Vermont reg proposals and if you thought they'd be implemented?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: new archery regs

Post by Reelax »

I think lengthening the bow season and adding cross bows are both good ideas....
Matt B
VTgooseman
Species: Fish with Teeth!

Post by VTgooseman »

I think x-bows for women are a great tool and x-bows in general when used with ethics. Unfortunately we all know too well there is a major lack in ethics in the woods these days. It will be interesting to see what happens but I'm all for a longer archery season.
shirefisher
Species: all

Post by shirefisher »

I spend more time hunting with a bow than any other season. So I'm a big fan of the lengthening of the season. I will happily shoot a crossbow, especially during turkey season and rifle season.
sonny88

Post by sonny88 »

The reason I asked the question is because I've heard a lot of negative feedback on these proposals and I wondered what other people were hearing? I think both are great ideas but my sense is neither are going to pass.
I hunted with a crossbow last year in Ct. and really enjoyed it, but I didn't get a deer. Anyone who thinks it's a magic formula for killing a deer is dreaming, you still have to be a great hunter.
Also, I can still draw a compound fine but am getting to the age where it's not as easy as it used to be and i'd like to switch to the crossbow.
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Kyle said it all. If you do not know your effective range with a crossbow, your game is going to get away. I have one, can shoot accurately to 50 yards, but the best penetration is up to 40. lots of deer in other states are walking around with CB bolts sticking out of them is not a site to see for anyone. Bad, bad publicity for hunting.
Save a hip bone and some hide and shoot at it from all distances, there you will know your effective range.
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
sonny88

Post by sonny88 »

Just to clarify I had deer within 15 yards in Ct. I know where my range is and will never shoot over it. The land we hunted in Ct. had a self imposed 8 points or better restriction which is one of the reasons I like to hunt there.
But, here in Vt. when I bow hunt the first yearling doe I see in range i'm going to take. They're not many 8+ point bucks in my VT hunting area.